1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you accept golden handcuffs?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by opalfeet, Dec 1, 2015.

1. opalfeet

opalfeet Occasional commenter

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They wouldn't need such a thing if the job had not become so deeply unpleasant.

3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I think I would seriously question the mental well-being of any person who did accept one of these.

4. opalfeet

According to Nick Gibb the Conservatives are working on teacher workload which was increased under New Labour!

Feel very frustrated...what are teachers doing? What are unions doing?

I used to love teaching

GLsghost and yodaami2 like this.
  5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Gosh, it must be true if he says so!

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I wonder where I can insert the word 'increasing' into that sentence.

Closer to the truth.

7. opalfeet

Yes @Middlemarch I used to love teaching, and that was under New Labour!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@opalfeet - read this:

Overwhelming workload - what can you do about it?

Start writing!

Best wishes

GLsghost likes this.
  9. seismic

seismic New commenter

Well, I have to say, when I signed up there was the golden hello £4000 at end of NQT year, as well a student loans paid off, provided you remained in state education. This was shortage subjects BTW.

10. drek

drek Star commenter

He quotes the figures but cannot see a link? Is the man just plain daft? Does he know how hard it is to teach in a school that has been graded less than a good? For no good reason other than to acquire it and take it over?
    How teachers are treated as sub human by people who have 'lead' status, not because they can teach, but can produce an ofsted perfect lesson, and spend hours wasting time observing peers and giving completely demoralising feedback, (thus depriving the system of their teaching skills, what a waste of such good teaching material eh?) or as consultants who have little to no subject knowledge, never bothered to acquire it, (too hard) yet these people are judging teacher performance regularly, getting millions from the government to spread their bible bashing nonsense.
    Who wants to teach under these circumstances! Outstanding teachers? Really? The message being if you are RI you can stay on as a classroom teacher forever, poorly paid, stamped on by others in the system, used to climb up, and at the mercy of every strategy peddler that wanders past your door.

11. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Think about it. You sign up to a school for a pair of Golden Handcuffs and agree to stay for 3 years, and agree to return the money if you leave before that time.

For 3 years, you have given your SLT the right to bully you. For 3 years, you have given them the right to pile job after job onto you because they know your contract is open-ended and they know you will struggle to leave and pay back the signing on fee. You never truly know what a school is like and how good the management are until you join it. There are plenty of teachers who join a school, only to realise they've been sold a pup at the interview, or that that carefully managed school tour they went on hid a disfunctional and ineffective behaviour management policy and hid the large percentage of students with serious behaviour problems that can't be addressed because of budget problems. Making a contract with the devil can only end in disaster.

The underlying issues of behavior, workload, no life, stress and mental illness and poor salaries need to be addressed, not using stupid dangerous gimmick's like GH.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  12. pinkkaz

pinkkaz New commenter

Yep I got a £5k golden hello (more like £3.5 after tax and student loan, mind you). 3 years later I'm happily employed as a part-time supply teacher. Anyway, I didn't become a maths teacher for a golden hello, I did it as I was inspired to do it! If the government has money to give to education, they should pledge to cut contact time in half so that teachers could do more collaborative planning/marking. That would go some way to enticing me back into full-time teaching.