1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

would you accept a job if

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by grantgust, Jul 11, 2016.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Get induction done and dusted then you will be more aware of where your strengths lie so you can look for that "perfect" job. If that is what you want

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

That is a warning bell and tread carefully.

Can you find out why? This is difficult and the only sure way is to ask teachers who have worked there who might be reluctant to comment.

Challenging behaviour but strong policies is not always a barrier but if you suspect the school has poor
    management and weak policies then walk away from this post

Happy-Hogan, pepper5 and Moony like this.
  3. DrEmmaKell

DrEmmaKell New commenter

You may well already have made your decision, but it's such a challenge (even after several years in the profession) to work out from interview, research and hearsay alone whether the school is a right fit. I think the 'supportive staff' sounds like a huge bonus. For most people, the major challenges don't like with the smaller people! I had some my happiest and most fulfilling years early in my career in an allegedly 'tough' school where the staff worked hard, played hard, and laughed harder.

All of that said, there is a part of me which says 'trust your instincts' too...

All the best with whatever you decide or have decided. When it comes down to it, the people who will have the biggest influence on your daily working life will be your mentor and immediate colleagues. If they're supportive, that's 80% of the battle won already.

jarndyce and grantgust like this.
  4. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

Thank you all for the support and messages. Eventually I decided to decline the offer as the only prospective of moving there and being at that school every day was anguishing me. I thought that even 1 term can feel like a long time if you are unhappy, and I'd like to be happy to wake up in the morning. There were too many things that steered me away (i.e. being repeatedly asked if I had a partner, or not being interviewed/seen teach). I am not sure if I made the right decision yet, but at that moment all my guts were screaming: run away! XD
    We shall see. Hopefully I'll still get a chance to work as a teacher.
    Thanks you all!

Happy-Hogan and pepper5 like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I had a very bad feeling about my second job in teaching - I was right, it was absolutely awful - by far the worst year I ever had but out of it I got another job at a brilliant school that going me going again.

6. DrEmmaKell

DrEmmaKell New commenter

There's something to be said for listening to your gut, I find. All the very best!

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It's fine to work in a tough school, providing that there are supportive colleagues and environment. It's not fine to work in a tough school without collegiate support.

I really think that you get a feel for a place and if that feeling is bad, listen to your instincts. Coupled with a commute, or moving to a new area, I'd say no, I think.

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

9. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

Just as an update if anyone was interested. I refused the offer, and I later found out that was the best decision I could make. Glad I trusted my guts, would recommend it to everyone. Thanks for all your kind words of advice.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well I'm glad that worked out for you. What are you doing now?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

No. Been there doing induction where things haven't worked right. Being in the right school is important for any teacher, during your induction it's abso-*******-lutely essential!

Lara mfl 05, sabrinakat and pepper5 like this.
  12. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

We forget that, although a vocation, that teaching is a job. In no way should it take over your life to the extent that stress and misery prevails each day.

I am sure there are colleagues who felt they had to take a job on against their better judgement. But there are too many good people lost from the profession who probably would have been terrific at another school or under different circumstances.

grantgust likes this.
  13. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Some excellent advice here.

In my first two years of teaching I was at a school, it was fantastic, classed as outstanding, over subscribed etc but I definitely didn't feel like I fit in. However it got me on the career ladder, passed my NQT with flying colours and I learnt a lot about the education system.

It was still a fantastic experience, I learnt a lot about what I wanted from my career and what I didn't.

The summer time is usual to feel nervous about new jobs and setting up. Your first real teaching job is a huge thing so nerves are perfectly normal. Sometimes it's just that you don't know anyone. You will make friends there, even better if you make them out of your department so you have someone to lean on when things might not go right.

If you have a seriously strong feeling that the behaviour is out of place or that the school isn't supportive then don't go for it but don't let your nerves get the best of you.

grantgust and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Sorry to pick up on this. I believe this notion is at the heart of many issues in this job.

A vocation is being an artisan baker, an actor or a brewer etc. Something that people would do regardless of money. Teaching is a job, and a skilled one at that.

People have lost sight of teaching being a professional job. The vocation argument has been used as an excuse to get people to do more, for less.

A truly dangerous statement.

Moony, Lara mfl 05 and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'm glad you were in a position to choose. Many people need a job - any job - and don't have that option.

Lara mfl 05 and DYNAMO67 like this.
  16. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Looking at your other posts, it doesn't look like you had the best year though? Just saying..

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I couldn't agree more.

Best wishes

Moony and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

The same was true of nursing until well into the 60s. Indeed, it was used by politicians (notably Enoch Powell, who as Macmillan's minister of health, refused to give nurses a penny an hour pay rise), as well the RCN, to justify low pay as a way of attracting the 'right sort of woman', who was not motivated by 'venal interests'.

happypug and DYNAMO67 like this.
  19. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Really good comparison. Will use that when arguing about this in the future!

20. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

I have been to two schools for an interview and was felt it wasn't the right fit. It was often due to the questions in interviews and the responses I received to some of my answers. They were really telling on how the school saw itself. For example, I interviewed at a private school and I was coming from the local school nearby, where we had a lot of behavioural issues, poverty etc...At my interview the Head of Academics asked me what I did to support students not working to their target grades and I explained what I did with my D/C borderline students and the intervention plans I put in place. I was told that it was not possible to do that at their school with their class sizes (not true their classes were half the size of mine) and that they had A/A* borderline students, not D/C borderline students (also not true, because the HoD had sent me exam results and they had 4 D grades out of a cohort of 10!). I was later asked if I had ever had concerns about a colleague's relationship towards a student, to which I answered 'no' and I was met with disbelief and raised eyebrows. It just gave me such a bad feeling.