1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

would you accept a job if

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by grantgust, Jul 11, 2016.

1. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

Would you accept a job offer if you don't feel you fit in the school, but that is also your only option if you want to start your NQT year? I am not sure if I will regret accepting the offer or not taking it and being unemployed in September.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Your NQT year could possibly be quite stressful without any extra pressure, so how much of a 'bad fit' do you feel?

If it;s just uncertainty about the enormity of change and whether you could adapt then that would be normal and I'd take the job. Yoy can learn a lot in your first year and even from schools where you don't initially feel positive about.

However if you feel the attitudes/ behaviour / staff room politics etc might be at the bottom of your worries you might need to sit down and work out whether you feel you could work at this school or not.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Trendy Art and agathamorse like this.
  3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

It's important to work in an environment which is supportive and where you feel you can support the ethos (if not 100% then at least a high percentage!) If at the interview or offer stage you have serious doubts on this one, I would be cautious. A year can seem a long time if you are unhappy. As @Lara mfl 05 says, think carefully. Maybe write a list of the things you like about the school/post and the things which concern you - articulating this and seeing it 'in black and white' may help you to come to a decision which is right for you.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

My general advice to NQTs is not to put yourself in a position where you put your induction at risk.
    If you feel you don't fit in then you must already know the school.
    You need to ask yourself why you feel that way is it for genuine reasons?
    Many NQTs are apprehensive about starting induction and that is a good thing because it shows commitment .
    Good preparation and planning for your induction year will help make a smoother transition

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

"you don't feel you fit" - i wonder what that means. If you mean the school is tougher than you feel you can cope with, that the children are likely to be too challenging for you, there are issues in the school you don't feel you have been trained to handle then it may be wise to walk away but teaching is a hard job and I would have thought you would have faced up to that by now. I can't imagine what other things would really make you consider letting a job offer go - they are going to pay you after all. Is it just general cold feet? Some tough schools have good internal support systems that make the job doable even though it looks impossible from the outside. Think hard before walking away.

I worked in a school where I didn't really fit for 13years. I learnt a lot and earned 13years of salary. i wasn't blissfully happy, it wasn't always fun, it was my job. i survived.

6. 8sycamore

8sycamore Occasional commenter

A tough school makes for a great start. Yes it is challenging and can be exhausting, but if you prove to yourself you can hack it then your confidence will be sky high. I am now in an Indy, and I love it, but I also loved the previous ten years spent in tough schools. I also know I can handle it. If I had started the other way round then I would've never had the confidence to move and my career options would've been limited. I think you should go for it. It's just a year and you need to get your NQT over with. Good luck with whatever you choose.

7. Lara mfl 05

Brilliant advice from lots of points of view and hopefully have helped you resolve some of your worries.

Tough schools are tough but certainly expand your skills-base.

Also don't be afraid, just because you have that piece of paper saying you are a teacher, that that means you are already the best teacher you can be. That will come through experience.
    Don't feel you're a failure if you ask for help- it's actually a sign of strength that you want to improve and don't believe you alone have all the answers.One thing we seem to have lost in recent years is that teaching is not an individual exercise. Your colleagues are so important to staffroom morale and making the difference in a school.

i wish you well with whatever your decision is. Just let me say you'll never know if 'you're a good fit' though unless you actually try it. Like a garment you need to try it on and then work out any alterations/ adjustments which need to be made.

8. internationalschools

internationalschools New commenter

Go with your instinct. My first job was in a tough school, and I hated every minute - and almost failed my NQT year because I couldn't control my classes. I'm now on SLT in an independent school and love it. If you really feel you won't be able to thrive, then it might be best not to take the job, as if you end up having problems you could fail your NQT year. Some people just aren't up to the policeman type role needed in some state schools - I wasn't.

9. hisir

hisir New commenter

It depends on why you don't think you fit. If it's because you know about the school's reputation and it might seem like the wrong option in which to do your induction, then fair enough. If it's just because you're nervous about the change, then have a go. I did my induction year in one of my PGCE placement schools. My placement wasn't particularly enjoyable there (poor department ethos, disinterested mentor etc) but I was offered a job which would have taken me through my induction, and I accepted.

It was the best thing I've ever done. I absolutely adore the school, and am now here on a permanent basis. Don't regret it at all.

aissela and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

It depends why you feel that you would 'not fit in' at this school. If the school is a 'tough' one, with challenging behaviour, etc., it can be a beneficial experience for you. If, however, the school is poorly managed, with an SMT that has a bad reputation for supporting staff, then you might like to find somewhere else. if you can, try and find out how NQTs the school has taken on, over the last few years, and how many have failed, or dropped out. Having to fight on two fronts at the same time is not a good way to learn your trade.

aissela and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

The school is in a poor, challenging are and I would have to move there. The staff is nice and apparently supportive. The school however has no money and large recruitment issues

12. Lara mfl 05

If it we were me I'd ignore the 'no money and recruitment issues- - that's probably the case for many, many schools across the country.

However the 'supportive staff' is a HUGE plus factor.especially in your NQT year. A supportive staff can make a struggling school work, just as a non-supportive one can so easily help a 'good school with no problems' start to fail.

Trendy Art, DrEmmaKell and grantgust like this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I never lived near my school. I'd always be a decent bus ride away.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. AnnHen

AnnHen New commenter

You can always go on supply in September until you find a post you are happy with. Good luck. :)

15. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Did you not know this when you accepted the post!!

16. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

I am looking for advice before accepting it. This is the info I gathered so far

17. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

How long have you been given to decide??? :eek:

None of the reasons you have given would have been enough to switch me off and I would have found all that out before applying! But only you know if it's worth it for you!

18. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

Honestly? I took the first job i was offered for NQT and got my induction out of the way

DYNAMO67 and slingshotsally like this.
  19. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

All bery well if it works for you. If it isn't the right 'fit' taking a post for the NQT year just to get it out of the way could be the worst thing to do, and soul destroying.

Lara mfl 05 and slingshotsally like this.
  20. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

I was lucky I will admit that. My first school wasnt perfect, but it wasnt the worst.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.