1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would this solve teacher shortages - almost at a stroke?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nonentity, Oct 12, 2017.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I shall scurry away to my gutter.

2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Think that it has more to do with the fact that the creators of these kinds of software have a very superficial understanding of education.

3. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

There's something disturbing about a teacher(?) making the assumption that online learning will automatically be more engaging than learning in a class with a teacher.

4. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Lead commenter

Exactly right.

Let's assume that maths, and e.g. IT/programming are the subjects best suited for online learning. What do we see when we check out the resources? We see teachers going through the material, doing a couple of examples, and then emphasizing very strongly that the students need to go away and do this for themselves. Yes you can introduce the material, but it's in solving problems yourself that you gain understanding. There's a maths phrase that goes something like "a mathematician is never happy with a topic until he/she has answered some questions on it". Not easily-marked multiple choice questions, but tricky multi-step ones, with no intermediate prompting.

When I was doing private tutoring, I would stress this point over and over again. After a while many of my students would see the light, as it were, and start to insist that I ask or set them some questions, rather than passively listen as I talked about something.

Who knows what the technological resources will be like in the future? @wanet might well be right - they'll be far more sophisticated than what we're imagining at the moment. However we're not they're yet, by a long chalk, and this renders Nonentity's beliefs to be (as others have said) pure supposition, lacking hard evidence, and essentially wishful thinking. The evidence he/she puts forward seems to be of having covered a lesson where the kids spent time on the computer, and were well-behaved and seemingly productive. They might well simply have been pleased to have had a break from thinking, for that lesson.

wanet and lunarita like this.
  5. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

:D Is that comment research based, or from the "it's obvious innit" end of the spectrum.?

Mmmm

JL48 likes this.
  6. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

I do give the OP some credit though:rolleyes:

IMG_2834.JPG

lunarita likes this.
  7. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Phew. That's a relief!