1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would this put you off applying?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MrLW1, Oct 9, 2019.

1. MrLW1

MrLW1 New commenter

I noticed a teaching job being advertised at a school in my area in my subject. I then realised there isn't one but two posts, both to start in January, one of the posts being HOD. I'm not sure how big the department is but I'd guess that it would be 4 full time staff. I don't know the school that well but their exam results and last inspection report are good.

Would it put you off applying or at least make you more cautious of doing so given two people are leaving at the same point part way through the year? I know people can leave for perfectly legitimate reasons at Christmas, but it's hard to know as an outsider if there's any problematic issues in the department or school that may have played a part? Even if there aren't I'm thinking there will be a period of instability this year what with at the very least two new staff including a change in HOD?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Could it be that the HoD is leaving, that there will be an internal candidate who may get the HoD role - if they do, they'll need a classroom teacher, but if they don't, an outside HoD will be appointed. So only one actual vacancy, but might be either role?

Lara mfl 05 and Duke of York like this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

That seems quite likely.

If it turns out that there really are two people leaving, it's not unreasonable to ask (probably in one of the more informal points of an interview day) how the vacancies have arisen.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. MrLW1

MrLW1 New commenter

Yes good point, not sure why I didn't think of this, although I guess it means if I apply for the non-HOD post then I could be spending hours on an application for a post that might not eventually exist.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Although it's often the case that someone internal is already lined up for a post, it still has to be advertised and the formal recruitment process needs to be followed.

Lara mfl 05 and FrankWolley like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Phone them up and ask them.
    Are they looking for one person who could do either job, or are they looking for two people for two different roles?
    If you contact the main school office,they will forward your query and let you know.
    It's a legitimate question,which they are far better placed to answer than we are.

7. MrLW1

MrLW1 New commenter

It's two separate adverts for two separate posts, I'm assuming they wouldn't have spent money on two ads if they didn't think it was justified. Looks like I'll drop them an email.