1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would this be a good thing to try?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by blizzard, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Hi,
    If your new head thinks that you will stick around whilst they are not using you to your full potential and training, then they are a bit stupid! I would have another discussion with them - could you be used as a SEN HLTA in your current school if they don't want you to take whole classes? Or ask her what other opportunities are open to you there?
    Once you've had another discussion with the new head you will be able to plan your career a bit further.
    Definately keep looking and don't give up just because one head won't help you develop - there are many heads who will!
    B

2. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I did it for teaching posts, in a field and location I wanted. Got my name on a list of being interested in the schools.....
    B x

3. Absolutely I am an HT and I read every unsolicited CV that comes through the door, at least one a day and more like five atm. If someone has taken the trouble and expense to do this it seems like the least I can do. I have employed several good LSAs this way SEN is a very good way forward. As a SEN school we are often crying out for LSA's with more advanced skills and bendy brains (adaptable and quick thinking :-D ), also the kids are fascinating and the work rewarding.
    Start getting that CV out there. You can always keep your current place of work secret too.

4. We do need to be aware, though, of safer recruitment guidelines about how to treat speculative applications.

5. FAIRYDELL

FAIRYDELL New commenter

Thank you so much for your replies. I now have a task for the weekend, after all, my dream job will not just jump in my lap, I need to start 'peddling my wares.'

6. true enough but all spec applications are carefully treated too and all likely candidates informed at correct time when a position becomes available and then asked to provide any information neccessary that was blanked at time, as well as going through referencing disclosure and interviewing processes just as any other candidate asked to attend interview. Its not a major issue and I like spec applications from those currently in work, it shows gumption and drive.

7. Sulla, just out of interest - aren't you put off by the fact that many speculative applicants want to find work in "a" school, rather than "your" school specifically?