1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would this be a bad move?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by whowhatwhy, Mar 16, 2011.

1. When at the end of an interview and asked 'Are you still interested in the post?' how bad would it be to say no? As a headteacher how would you feel if someone did this?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You'd normally be asked at the beginning, which is when you should tell them you're no longer a firm candidate. This will allow the panel to avoid wasting their time.
    Saying it at the end is bad form, in my opinion - you must know at the beginning of the interview you don't want it. If you try the 'I wanted the experience of the interview' argument you'll go down even more badly - the panel is not there to give you free professional help.

3. I am afraid I disagree - if the candidate feels as a result of the interview process and info revealed during the interview that this may no longer be the school for them, then I reckon say then and tbh touh luck if it offends HTs sensibilities - better to be upfront...
    And if you get to interview, look around and think not for you, do the interview, out of courtesy/for the experience - though many say waste of the school's time, there are often multiple candidates, so no different to school wasting youe tine when they decided on the first/internal candidate who they want but continue to interview you regardless....
    Oh and btw - I have just sat through 15 interviews of which it was apparent who had changed their mind once they perceived the relaity of our situation. One said before the interview this - fair play. Others at the end. Another when we called to say unsuccessful...c'esyt la vie...