1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would teachers have decided to strike some time ago if there were only one union like the Doctors?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ricjamclick, Mar 7, 2016.

1. ricjamclick

ricjamclick New commenter

I think they could have, but probably wouldn't even then.

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I think we would. Too many teaching union who aren't all united in their support of their membership just weakens any action they undertake or propose.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

4. ricjamclick

I'd like to think we would have, for the right reasons and on a united front, but I sadly doubt it.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'd suggest that the same apathy would still rule.

But I'm not sure I can be bothered

ricjamclick likes this.
  6. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Sadly, I think teachers like to moan, but often don't want to rock the boat.

The last time I remember any effective, united action was in the earlyish eighties.

Also, there are so many disparities between schools, so that those who work in a 'happy' school, are content with the status quo.

(Not me though. I think the situation has been appalling for many years)

ricjamclick and Compassman like this.
  7. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

No, in my experience you could not get teachers of one union to agree - putting them in one combined union would just result in the same kind of unwillingness to take action.
    Depressing really to think of all the action in the eighties sees us going backwards and worse.

cissy3 and Compassman like this.
  8. ricjamclick

So why are we like this, then? So divided and disparate.

- Is it because as teachers we know how to manipulate and control others when we manage classes, and therefore do it subconsciously amongst ourselves?

- Is it because those who gain power in schools put themselves and their personal needs above those of the whole?

- Is it because we have to prioiritise ourselves to stay sane, so complain but actually do little

- are there other factors?

- Is it a combination of these things?

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Probably

Sometimes

Quite likely
    Though sometimes you just want to stop banging your head against the wall because it hurts you more than the wall.

10. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Fundamentally, we've not decided what Education is for.

Because we don't know that, there are huge fault lines regarding any possibility of action about workload because the views of what we should / should not be doing are divided.