1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would schools function as well if there were no meetings?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Freddie92, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

I have often wondered just how unproductive meetings are. This includes at departmental level, working committees and even whole school meetings. Often nothing much happens, and in truth are information overload sessions. Just email me the document or pdf and leave me be!

All the time wasted on preparing for meetings and the actual time devoted to them have me wondering whether are they really necessary?

Very few issues will not already have been decided upon by your PT or SMT.

As for action points...

2. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

The vast majority of meetings are for the benefit of SMT so that they can tick boxes for inspections by Education Scotland.

cochrane1964 likes this.
  3. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

The only thing to come out of a meeting is . . .

Another bloody meeting.

In-service days are the worst. I'd rather have the kids in for another 5 days a year to avoid them.

4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I've never been to an effective meeting in a school. You know, one where you think "That was good, some worthwhile information there, I'm glad I went.
    If only the people who get paid to attend these dreadful things went to these meetings and left me be to get on with my job of teaching weans.
    A good example was our whole-school meeting tonight. After an hour I'm none the wiser as to what I've to do for the next few months. Typical school meeting.

ScotSEN likes this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Department ones are good. More than about six people and a meeting is useless.
    Just send me the powerpoint. You don't have to read it to me.

6. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Love it. We tell pupils not to read from their powerpoint and we do it ourselves! Brilliant!

7. puppyofdoom

puppyofdoom New commenter

We have a monthly PSE meeting during lunchtime. The last time it came around I was having a horrible day, so I nipped up to say I wasn't going to be able to make it (because if I had I would have been liable to burst into tears due to frustration/tiredness during period 7). I asked, "Is there anything important I need to know?" The response was, "Nope." I was torn between hysterical laughter and foaming rage. If there is nothing to tell me, why am I having to give up my lunchtime on a day when I teach?

8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

In a previous life I was advised that any meeting needed to have a purpose if it was to be effective.
    The only purpose of any school meeting I've ever been at has been to tick a box so that the school has evidence that we've had meetings. No other purpose. Total f u c k I n g waste of time.
    Our DMs nowadays consist of our FH telling us about things that are important to her and, ahem, "need" done. Sometimes I really do feel like crying.

9. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

10. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

oops posted on wrong thread Sorry

11. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

Irony?

12. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

You need meetings so that you know who the SMT are. Otherwise how would you know???

lescargot and ScotSEN like this.
  13. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

One of these threads are making me lol! Not been on in ages but although it's a bit funny it's also a bit sad to see how far we've come!

14. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Old woman teacher here, (grumpy into the bargain o_O)
    when I was a probationer (way....way...back in the 80s) we did 2 years and don't ever remember going to a school meeting - PT told me (and others in dept) what was decided at PT meetings held once a month and we spent ALL our time planning and teaching - job done. After being a stay at home mum for 7 years, I went back part-time (90s now) and only remember one meeting I had to go to, which was during school day , I was free and PT was teaching, so I went - it was about a Christmas event which was actually worthwhile! In the 00s, full-time working again, the meetings were once a term; since 2010 they have escalated from once a month, then twice a month, and now once a week. We do silly activities basically re-writing the DIP for SMT who have been told all teachers have to be listened to, included and valued.......:p

15. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

One a week! You're doing well!

16. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

We're doing a check of working hours at our place; considerable grumbling about excessive workload and shockingly poor pay rise, so increasing resistance to doing the same amount of work (or more) for less pay. If the union hold onto their balls it might go some way towards addressing the extra crêpe we've been expected to do recently. I'm guessing someone's cage must have got rattled for this to have shot up out of nowhere but not complaining.

17. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

Meetings are generally unproductive unless it's coming from a child protection angle and the outcomes are going to seriously affect the life of the child in question.

I was always a great believer in letting staff get on with it, and saw a lot of meetings I attended in my time as HT and DHT particularly were just meetings for meetings sake.

I also found in-service days a general big waste of time meeting event as well. They'd be better used for staff development work inside their own departments, lesson planning, CPD, whatever. But the things we make staff sit through and listen to are at times nonsense.

I'm going back almost 20 years and I wasn't the Head at my school long, but I fell asleep at a presentation from, I think the exam board. Can't remember exactly what it was but I remember the guy who did it although he was one of these expert in nothing but knower of everything types and seemed to work everywhere but for about two minutes at a time.

One of my Assistant Head's gave me a nudge and I shot straight out the seat. My last thought before I dozed off was that I wished the ceiling would fall in and we would have to do a full evacuation procedure on the whole thing.

When I was woken up I thought for a split second that it had actually happened.

ScotSEN likes this.
  18. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Most school meetings I've ever attended have been pointless. At a recent meeting my FH knew it was finished after 45 minutes but she actually babbled on because it "needed" to last an hour.
    In my previous career nearly all meetings had a purpose, it was even known to call off a meeting if there was no point to it.

Potatoes005 likes this.
  19. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Never had a meeting in 10 years.

I have attended mini-lectures though!:p

20. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

We had no HT for three months once, therefore no meetings, Brilliant.