1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would schools do laser cutting for a small business?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by littlemissraw, Jan 23, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

As an unemployed D&T teacher I've started up my own graphic design agency.
    I have been thinking of a range of designs for a clients wedding and I wondered do you think any schools would 'hire' their laser cutter to a small business for one off jobs? I'd love to be able to buy one but its very early days so far. x

2. littlemissraw

As an unemployed D&T teacher I've started up my own graphic design agency.
    I have been thinking of a range of designs for a clients wedding and I wondered do you think any schools would 'hire' their laser cutter to a small business for one off jobs? I'd love to be able to buy one but its very early days so far. x

3. You should try talking to your old school or a contact at other schools. They may either do it for you for a small fee or let you on it when they are not using it. It depends on how big the jobs are as well but the cheapest lasers are about 4.5K and its bed size is 500x300. What part of the country are you in?

4. littlemissraw

I'm in the north west. I imaging the jobs will be few but will be about 100-150pieces when required (rough size A5) Although my main audience is businesses they don't have much advertising budget at the moment so I'm hoping to take advantage of the wedding season and am looking at some doing none traditional invites in order to stand out from the million other companies doing stationary [​IMG] x

5. Im North Wales. email me at rhylhightech@yahoo.co.uk and we may be able to sort something out if you are interested.

6. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

im pretty sure we'd be up for it. you have a PM

7. littlemissraw

Thank you [​IMG] I've made a note of both your contacts and will be in touch as soon as I have some mock ups and/or work needing the laser. x

8. Hi just taking a wild shot here pensions to hi cost of living to high British having less children no need for a English teacher as opposed to a bilingual teacher

Tell u what excuse the spelling but for me a teacher asking for more help really go to a business and make a deal wi th them they will give you a deal that they can afford so u need to bulks that into the cost of the product don't make a public owned asset be used for anything but learning comon man

Stupid iPad spell corrector sorry just don't have the time to correct

Al

9. you could try ponoko.com - they cut what you want, and look like a fun company, although I believe they are in the US.
    Why not try local craft shops? they often have a laser cutting service. If you're near east London then 4D Modelshop will do it.
    Cheers,
    Philip

10. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

<font size="2">I&rsquo;m pretty sure you've missed the point here (and by point, i mean full stop) [​IMG]</font><font size="2">In all seriousness, why shouldn't schools rent out equipment to local businesses? The business gets a good deal and so does the school, especially when schools' equipment is pretty much redundant for 13 weeks a year anyway. Even if the school does the work for free or at cost (of materials) it still builds up links with industry which is mutually beneficial.</font><font size="2">I can only assume that you are in a school which is either so wealthy that you don't need to think this way or that you're so set in your ways in some grammar or public school that you fail to see the way in which education is moving.</font><font size="2"></font> <font size="2">Regards,</font>
    P

11. TES Resource Team

TES Resource Team Occasional commenter Institute Enrolment Advisor

I think if anyone can help littlemissraw out, then that would be great, I am unfortunately in the Southeast and so am of limited assistance. Whilst on the subject of "help" I think it important for anyone reading this post to check out the resources and SOW posted by littlemissraw, they are quite simply superb and I have written a couple of reviews already and no doubt will be writing more. One of the reviews appeared as TES resource of the week and I mentioned littlemissraw in the TES magazine a few issues back. I cannot believe that you are not in a classroom, what an absolute shame. If you are a HOD in the northeast employ her asap!!
    Cheers
    Spencer Herbert
    TES DT Advisor

12. littlemissraw

Aww thank you, that's so sweet it actually made me cry! A mention in the magazine? Wow I'm so proud lol, if I manage to get an interview for any of the jobs I've been applying for I'll have to try and get that in [​IMG]
    Thank you so so much for your comment you have no idea how much it means x

(And for any HoD's just a small correction - I'm in the northwest)

13. TES Resource Team

TES Resource Team Occasional commenter Institute Enrolment Advisor

You are welcome.[​IMG]