We have been planning ttc this month for over a year. I have PCOS and I'm in my 30s. If and when we get pregnant, I plan to return to work full time after mat leave. I cannot discuss my plans to have a family with our SLT or anyone at school. I am currently an Assistant Head. Yesterday, my Headteacher told me that her post would be advertised in January and our Deputy would apply. She then said, "If the Deputy is successful, the Deputy role will be advertised at Easter. I dont know if you would consider applying but it will be advertised nationally." I was shocked and wish now I had expressed a strong interest because now I am facing the Christmas holidays wondering whether to hold off ttc. I teach full time and am responsible for two core subjects and managing a Key Stage. I have recently been given assessment from the Deputy. It seems that they have planned this structure and I think they have me in mind for the role as a possibility but I know this is certainly not guaranteed. I mentioned that I was looking for Deputy roles for September so they are aware of my plans but, truthfully, I was thinking of delaying this to ttc. I have a friend who was in a similar position last year. She was 'acting' Deputy and knew the job would be advertised at Easter. She got pregnant in December, got the job and the day she was meant to start her new role, she went on mat leave. Her post has been covered until she returns. I'm not this lucky!!! I dont want to discuss my situation with her as I dont really want anyone knowing we are ttc, mainly because I think it will probably take a while. Besides, I think she was in a stronger position as she was 'acting'. Would it be better to ttc now, so that I would/could be applying pregnant and they knew full well what the future would be (they could plan cover)? Or would this effect my chances? I suppose it would be extremely difficult to prove this though. Or should I wait to ttc until Easter, start the job September (providing I get it) and then go off on mat leave? or wait until September to ttc? I really dont want to leave it as late as September though!! Being in my 30s, facing potential difficulties to conceive vs missing out on a job which I am already doing is very tormenting. It's not the most relaxing start to the Christmas holidays. I welcome any advice, legal or personal, and any experiences. Many thanks.