1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

would love to be bouncing around

Discussion in 'Personal' started by flynne50, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Hello its Sunday and I am afraid I have that Sunday feeling. I am hoping that someone will have some advice.
    I am retiring at the end of term and I am looking forward to it, it is something I have planned for. I was hoping to enjoy the last few weeks but assessment and paperwork keep coming. The jumping through hoops and pleasing people. I thought I would be bouncing around and having fun with lovely children but instead I just feel exhausted. Anyone going through similar feelings or have any ideas on how to survive to the end of term I would love to hear from you. Im sorry I sound pathetic but I actually feel a little pathetic at the moment.
    I have posted similar post on retirement.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Will you need a reference?

How much is this stuff helping the kids?

Have you had the last meeting with parents? Much more important than the platitudes we put in our reports.

First and foremost enjoy the kids and sod the paperwork. People before paper! And 'people' includes YOU.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Weyhey! Only 4 weeks to go! Rejoice, and stop jumping through hoops and pleasing people!

In fact, do the opposite. Each time you do something for the last time you can breathe a sigh of relief. Just use these last weeks to ENJOY yourself. Yes, do all the jobs you're meant to do and to your usual standard but stop caring so much. Nothing depends on it anymore. If someone observes you - why should they at this late stage - throw all the Ofbollox out the window and teach like you don't care, for enjoyment and with the passion you once had before it was leeched out of you.

Buck up! Walk in tomorrow invincible, cut all the corners you like but, most of all, go out on a HIGH!

4. Thank you for your replies. Yes you are right :) (when I have time I will work out how to do emotions) I am hoping to keep my classroom door firmly closed and enjoy teaching. You never know people may think I have left already!

I need to kick myself up the backside!!!

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I'm going in about four months and have had a "f*** 'em all" attitude since at least last September. As my going id flexible requiring two months notice only I can tell them where to stuff it if they really pi$$ me off.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

have a look at the retired teacher forum where this problem is often mentioned.

be patient 4 weeks will soon go,,,,but above all if you dont need a reference tell them to go and whistle.if it gets done it gets done.

Do the important.eg hand over note s for their next teacher but by now they should be putting in place your replacement.....if so they can sort it out.

remember to sort out your resources and dont leave it till the last minute.

7. josienig

josienig Star commenter

Hi Flynne..you are retiring..that means there are no hoops, they're retiring too! Of course you have to do the necessary paperwork, reports etc but surely nobody will come near you for anything other than those? (And if they do, walk on with a big smile) Throw caution to the wind and enjoy your last few weeks..channel your inner trampoline and bounce for all you're worth..best of luck and enjoy your retirement x

8. Thank you all for your lovely replies well I am keeping my head down, enjoying my children Thank you.And my TA has been great. The days are flying this week. ....eeeeeek.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Good for you, flynne.

You're leaving at a good time. It's not going to get better any time soon as far as I can see.