1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would it really be too much hassle...?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by msmog7, Apr 21, 2012.

1. msmog7

msmog7 New commenter

So I've sent off my latest application and am waiting to hear...or not.
    Because when reading through the application information I saw the phrase. 'Only successful applicants will be contacted?' So I may be waiting until I'm sure it's been too long and then I can be pretty sure that I haven't been successful.
    Would it really be too much hassle for the school to send a round robin email saying 'Dear applicant, thanks for your application, you haven't been successful, good luck in the future...'?
    What happened to a minimal amount of politeness?
    Mog x

2. msmog7

msmog7 New commenter

So I've sent off my latest application and am waiting to hear...or not.
    Because when reading through the application information I saw the phrase. 'Only successful applicants will be contacted?' So I may be waiting until I'm sure it's been too long and then I can be pretty sure that I haven't been successful.
    Would it really be too much hassle for the school to send a round robin email saying 'Dear applicant, thanks for your application, you haven't been successful, good luck in the future...'?
    What happened to a minimal amount of politeness?
    Mog x

3. Although i try to do this i can see why some dont. Some schools get over 100 applications thats 100 emails which is time taken up for someone and then what happens is loads reply asking for feedback. So the comment in the above ad might be to avoid this

4. wheek

wheek New commenter

I think it all depends on whether they have dead set dates for shortlisting and interview when they place the advert. I have one application in, which has no reference to when to give up hope, but another two both say 'if you have not heard by... Please assume that your application has been unsuccessful.' This is good but obviously some schools might not have organised dates yet. One job I am on the longlist for closed nearly a month before I got a letter. I know that generally people say if you haven't heard within a week start to give up hope. Good luck either way!