1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would it be silly to get pregnant now?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by grl22, Sep 6, 2020.

1. grl22

grl22 New commenter

I’m currently tying myself up in knots trying to decide if I’m just being ridiculous...

We had always planned to try to conceive our second this year (my son is nearly 3), but had put that on hold due to the Covid situation. My husband thinks that we should start anyway; we don’t know how long this situation will continue, neither of us are getting any younger, and we don’t know how long it would take to get pregnant. Now I agree with him on all of these points, but with going back to school I’m getting a bit worried that actually it would be silly to get pregnant now and potentially be at increased risk. I also worry (and I know that this is daft) that people would judge us as irresponsible for getting pregnant now.

I don’t know if anyone has any advice as I know there are pros and cons each way, and ultimately it’s our decision, but I think I just needed to vent!

Thanks in advance for getting this far through my ramblings!

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

To give the male view then I'm definitely with your husband for the same reasons.
    The only bit I'd add is the question, "What news/information/event has to occur to make it okay to go ahead and breed?" The answer could well be an incredibly long list and full of imponderables like the Government/schools actually getting their act together but if you set out in advance the criteria to act on then you have a starting point to aim towards.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

If everyone thought like that the world population would dwindle. It's never a good time to get pregnant - the world political situation is dire, sickness, poverty and cruelty are rife, the planet is doomed. This was also the case in 1978 when I started my family.