1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would it be really stupid to let my elderly neighbour borrow my cat?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon8315, Dec 21, 2015.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

She has mice in her kitchen. I had mice once, and my (very lazy, elderly) cat killed one and the rest moved out!

Sadly, lazy elderly cat is now eating salmon and turkey in heaven and I got two cats from the RSPCA, a brother and sister from the same litter. The girl is an amazing mouser. But would it stress her out (the cat!) My neighbour has a dog and although she's very old and doesn't do much other than the occasional half hearted woof, i don't want to cause her stress.

Any cat (or mouse!) experts?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I think humane traps are a better idea.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I had two and when one died the other one was most distressed and kept looking for him. I don't know how long yours have been together but they will probably miss each other if they are separated.

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

They don't really work, in my experience though grumpy as the mice just come back!

Aw, that's really sad Lascarina :(

aspensquiver and Lascarina like this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ah - humanE traps. Had a quick double take there.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Sod the humane traps - Little Nipper ones are the only way to ensure you get rid of the little bug/gers and don't simply move them on to bother someone else.

7. grumpydogwoman

I quite like mice. I'm always sad when the cat brings one in. Also voles and shrews.

aspensquiver and kibosh like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm happy to rent out NaziCat... rent out long term...

ValentinoRossi and aspensquiver like this.
  9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You've never had mice then?

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Is your neighbour also very old? Might your neighbour get a cat of her own from a rescue place? We have mice living in the walls of this house, but they won't come out, and into any of the rooms, as they can smell our two cats.

11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I used to have a great mouser (Mr Irving Fluffy) who I loaned out for a day or two for mouse duties - is one or two days doable?

We have a...rat. We have put down traps, but we can't put down poison as DaphneKitten (see picture) might be affected. We also rent - if it was our own house, we would probably redo the kitchen anyway, and therefore, could pour cement into the foundation and rebuild - as it stands now, we have plugged holes, etc., but aside from closing the door to the kitchen....Daphne doesn't scare anyone!

12. grumpydogwoman

How do you know if you have mice? We have a cat. How am I to know if 'her' mice are house-mice or other-mice? I don't get to interview them. And she's not very forthcoming either.

13. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

You would hear your mice. Easy.

14. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You hear them galloping running about in the attics and wall spaces. You find shredded or chewed things at the back of cupboards. The really bold little bast vermin run across the floor IN FULL VIEW.
    Soon after this, humane traps become something to snort ruefully at - when were we that naive?

sabrinakat and magic surf bus like this.
  15. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Well, I have been very naïve several times.
    I have won many battles but the war has no end, they are always back.

16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Tried the humane, they tripped it but never got caught. Tried the snap ones, they ate the food or avoided them and never got caught. Tried poison it worked.

17. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

And yet the good ones are in constant use by scientists all over the country and in my experience are quite effective

I'm not someone who thinks that loaning out cats is a good idea.
    Sometimes the cat decides that the new home is better than the old one which can make life awkward especially with neighbours

18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You might want to get a professional in to sort this for you. It'll cost, obviously, but where there's one rat there are usually increasing numbers. Start by contacting your local council - some of them sort rats for free (!), others subsidise the cost of the professionals they send in, so it can often cost a lot less than you might fear - and they know how to do it so that it's safe for cats and children.

sabrinakat likes this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Wait until rodents get into the engine bay of your car and start nibbling on your wiring before you get too invested in humane solutions. Also look up Leptospirosis online - that's carried in rodent wee.

Bear in mind that the mice that are invading your home and vehicle may well be the descendants of others released from humane traps.

20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'll never forget the time I was eating a nice bowl of muesli and found a fresh mouse dropping on the spoon! The little sod had been in the box in the cupboard. How I didn't vomit, I don't know.
    One of those Little Nipper traps went off on the stroke of midnight one Christmas Eve! Merry Christmas, mouse! I can't bear to see them.
    Anyway, a new kitchen sorted the mouse problem.
    Have you ever seen a squirrel caught in a humane trap? I've never seen anything more vicious.