1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would I get permission to visit a school I've applied to that is a three hour drive away?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bertha76, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Bertha76

Bertha76 New commenter

Hello

I've applied for a Deputy Head role in a school that is a three hour drive away. I would like to visit it prior to the interview; do you think I could ask my school to release me to visit? It would mean taking a whole day off really. Is this unreasonable, do you think? I would've asked my old head like a shot, but we have a new one and I worry about asking.

Is this what people do?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You won't know if you don't ask.

You have to ask. Asking isn't unreasonable. How rotten that you're worried just about ASKING!

The HT can refuse but it's awful that the mere act of asking is causing you grief!

3. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Could you just ask for half a day and leave at lunch to get up to the new one? If you can arrange this afternoon as your PPA so you go to the Head with a solution rather than a problem they're much more likely to say yes...

Bertha76 likes this.
  4. Bertha76

Bertha76 New commenter

I asked if I could go to a family funeral on Monday but they haven't even responded to me. So I can't go. It's a miserable place!!

5. Bertha76

Bertha76 New commenter

Oh, of course. I'll try and swap some cover so that I can go. Why didn't I think of that? Shall I wait and see if they offer me an interview or go up there first, do you think?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A school is not actually obliged to allow you time off for a job interview, even in another school, although it is customary to do so unless it is likely to cause disruption. many would not allow for a visit, although many would. You can only ask.

A whole day off to visit a school - how would the teaching be covered without cost to the school? Could you ask other people in your Dept to do some teaching in their non-teaching time, and pay them back over the next few weeks? That way you can go and ask with a solution rather than a problem.

As for the funeral, most schools allow this for family including family in law, or long-standing friends. Again, is there a solution rather than a problem here?

Good luck

>

7. Bertha76

Bertha76 New commenter

Thank you for your responses. I've contacted the school to try and arrange a visit and I'm awaiting their call back. Not sure what the situation was regarding the funeral. Never mind. It was a close family member (uncle) but I guess it was frowned upon that I asked to go.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It might just be that the request somehow got mislaid. Someone meant to respond, got distracted, the email was marked
    Read, they missed going back to it.

Good luck with the other request.

9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

An interview is fair enough, a pre interview visit IMO is pushing it, as much as many people think it would give you the edge (and infact I personally believe that unless the school has actually suggested you visit beforehand then getting them to accommodate you for a visit might actually annoy them as they have to organise your arrival and day etc!)

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Stone me!

We haven't heard a peep from the "Call in sick and go anyway- what can they do?" Brigade yet. They've slow today.

11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

maybe they called in sick today?

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You say you have already applied.
    Why on earth do you need to visit before interview now?

I've always visited, but before applying, to see if it is a place I want to work. You've already made that decision, so just wait for the interview now.

3 hour commute for DH post is going to be exhausting and then some!

13. Bertha76

Bertha76 New commenter

I wanted to visit to introduce myself and gather extra information to be used in interview. In my experience, I've always been more inclined to recruit those who visited prior to the interview when looking for new teachers in my departments.

If I got the job, I would obviously move to the area.

The idea about leaving at lunch is a good one, but I'd like to see the school with students in it. If I leave at 12.30, I won't get there until 3.30pm. The students will have left. I know the school well enough without students in it, as it's in the area in which I used to own a holiday home and I want to relocate to the region. I'm very familiar with the area having spent many summers there.

Thank you for all of your comments. It's nice to have a sounding board.

14. Bertha76

Bertha76 New commenter

The 'whole day for the visit' was because after a three hour drive I would be having a tour of the school and meeting with the Head. I don't think anyone expects a school visitor to kick around the school for a whole day! Really, I'd only have time to teach lesson one, or two at a push, then scoot off if I were to see the school when it was open.

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you've already applied, expecting your current school to accommodate both a pre-visit and an interview day is pushing your luck, to be honest.

wanet likes this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Crikey, I should have read it properly. Apply and then visit. And then go for interview? That's a bit much.

wanet likes this.
  17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Can l throw a stick onto this particular fire?

Surely being more inclined to appoint those who are able to make a pre-application visit is a form of bias and/discrimination? In favour of local applicants?

I'd not only discourage such visits, l'd ban them on the grounds of equal opportunities.

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Or those who can get a day off without pay, as opposed to those being paid on a daily supply rate . . .

I also dislike this, @FrankWolley . And I dislike even more something that occasionally happens: shortlisted candidates are visited in their own schools and watched teaching there. But those not currently employed in a school (students, returnees, supply) have to teach in the other school, with pupils that they don't know, not in their own familiar environment.

Appallingly unfair.

Best wishes