1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would I get a new job???

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MUSICJO, Apr 19, 2012.

1. MUSICJO

MUSICJO New commenter

Hello!
    I need some advice. I have been teaching for 13 years. Two years ago I changed from secondary teaching to primary and had a lovely 18 months in a school until my contract ran out. I was then appointed to a permanant post which I started in January and I HATE IT. I have been off sick for 7 weeks now with depression based largely on how much I hate this job, the commute and the other teachers who are really unfriendly. I have to see occupational health next week but I really don't want to go back to a school where everyone ignores me.
    I love teaching and I would really love to get a new job for September as this one is destroying me. Have I got any chance in the current climate??
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. MUSICJO

MUSICJO New commenter

Hello!
    I need some advice. I have been teaching for 13 years. Two years ago I changed from secondary teaching to primary and had a lovely 18 months in a school until my contract ran out. I was then appointed to a permanant post which I started in January and I HATE IT. I have been off sick for 7 weeks now with depression based largely on how much I hate this job, the commute and the other teachers who are really unfriendly. I have to see occupational health next week but I really don't want to go back to a school where everyone ignores me.
    I love teaching and I would really love to get a new job for September as this one is destroying me. Have I got any chance in the current climate??
    Any advice would be appreciated.

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Tough one this as I presume you started this Jan 2012, then have been off sick for 7 weeks, which, as you are probably aware, doesn't look that great. Can you stick it out till July? I was in a job I hated - for the same reasons, long commute, very unfriendly and unsupportive staff, incompetent SLT, unruly students etc... I kept my head down, did what I had to do but was literally counting the days until I left... I got through it by planning lovely weekends with my friends and family, having lots of treats, buying myself uplifting c.d's to listen to in the car etc... in this current climate, it is not impossible to get another job after such a short time in one job, but difficult... I think you have 3 options:
    1) Grin and bear it, whilst looking for another job
    2) Resign and hope that you will get another job
    3) Talk to your union about perhaps getting you out with C.A/agreed reference (the reference part is what you need the most!)
    good luck!