1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would I be wasting my time?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lucylollipop, Jan 23, 2011.

1. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

I'm hoping for a bit of useful advice here!
    I have taught in only one school for all of my career - coming up to 22 years, and I'm on UPS 3. For several reasons I feel that the time has come for me to leave my present school. I have seen an ad for a temporary post in a local school which I know has a very good reputation. It is to cover a maternity leave and is initially for 6 months.
    My question is - would this school consider my application or bin it? ( given that I have been at my present school for so long and have only taught at this school, although I have experience across KS 1 and 2). All advice welcomed!

2. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

I'm hoping for a bit of useful advice here!
    I have taught in only one school for all of my career - coming up to 22 years, and I'm on UPS 3. For several reasons I feel that the time has come for me to leave my present school. I have seen an ad for a temporary post in a local school which I know has a very good reputation. It is to cover a maternity leave and is initially for 6 months.
    My question is - would this school consider my application or bin it? ( given that I have been at my present school for so long and have only taught at this school, although I have experience across KS 1 and 2). All advice welcomed!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would imagine they will want someone cheaper...I'm on UPS2 and it was a nightmare trying to change schools as money is a big issue. For a temporary post I honestly think it is unlikely. Maybe go and visit and have a chat with the head to ask her honest opinion?

Sorry.

4. What's the worst that can happen?
    You might not get an interview - but you will have focussed on pulling together your application details, and a framework for a covering letter, so it's easier next time (and next, and next).
    You might get an interview and not get the job - good experience for the next interview (repeat chorus as above)
    You might get the job.
    None of the above will happen if you decide not to apply, which is an equally valid decision.

5. You might well get lucky. There are likely to be fewer applications and some headteachers wouldn't want to put an NQT or inexperienced teacher in there mid-year as they will need someone who can be up and running straight away, and who doesn't need support/mentoring if this isn't factored into the school's forward planning.
    What you do need to consider is how employable you will be in six months time when the contract ends. It is then when the competition from cheaper staff is likely to be more of a problem for you.