1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would I be wasting my GP's time ...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by bacardibreezer, Oct 21, 2012.

1. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

... if I make an emergency appointment tomorrow to talk about my level of anxiety?
    I am already signed off until November and am seeing a counsellor and a psychiatrist. I saw the counsellor last week for the first time - an assessment, which isn't finished. She is on holiday this week so I won't see her until a week tomorrow. . The psychiatrist I had to see because of the possiblity of increasing or changing my medication - I saw him for the first time last week too. He didn't change the medication for various reasons - mainly because I am on the highest recommended dose. I don't see him again until December. I can't rememebr a lot about the appointment or what his conclusions were at the end, just that the anxiety I am experiencing is the overall problem more than the depression I am being treated for.
    My immediate problrm is that I am experiencing a heightened level of anxiety that I am struggling to control. Many things have that have happened to me over the last couple of days are worrying me but today has finished me off. I went for a long walk this afternoon- something I do most days - and within about ten minutes couldn't stop shaking and crying. I carried on walking and hoped that no one would see me. I just couldn't control it.
    My walk lasted for just over an hour and I was still feeling really shaken by the end of it.
    I have calmed down considerably since getting home but for days I have had this increasing feeling that I am going to scream and do something stupid or dangerous. I'm not talking about suicide - more along the lines of getting so ****** that I'm oblivious to everythung and can stop thinking. I have been drinking a lot but made a pact with myself on my walk that I am going to cut out alcohol completely. I have also convinced myself that if I drink alcohol or eat anything fattening or unhealthy, something bad will happen. If I think it will happen to me I don't worry, but if I convince myself that something will happen to a member of my family, it's enough to stop me from doing it.
    I reaslise how stupid this all sounds and I know I need help, but there';s really nothing more my GP can do. Yet I feel as if I need to go and talk about it.
    What do others think? Sorry to waffle on.

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Not a waste of their time. Do it. First thing. Be there when it opens.

3. You should definitely go to the G.P. You may not think there is anything else your GP can do but maybe he/she has something to offer. You certainly can't just go on as you are. Best of luck

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Having read that and realised I'm not far behind you with the anxiety, yes, you should get help.

5. You won't be wasting your GP's time at all, make sure you book an appointment and see what they say.
    I am sure they can help.

6. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I contribute to your GPs salary through my tax, so I am happy to authorise this. Lil - you too. I hope you find a resolution.

7. lilachardy

Thanks.

8. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

9. Def not a waste of time AT ALL.
    Anxiety is a truly hideous beast - you can't 'escape' from it and it's hard to rationalise things. The worrying about bad things happening to other people has an element of OCD about it, so make sure that you discuss this with your doctor.
    Stopping drinking will help - whenever I am hungover I feel very, very anxious, and this takes a few days to calm down. I suspect that the alcohol does something to the chemistry in the brain, but I'm not clever enough to know what [​IMG]
    You are not mad, crazy or a nuisance. You are also not alone, as these boards prove. You just need to find the right dosage of meds and/or therapy.
    Tess x

10. bacardibreezer

Thank you all. Feeling a lot better now - just had a nice dinner with my family. I will go to the GP tomorrow, though. Thank you.
    BB (feeling very stupid) [​IMG]

11. bacardibreezer

Lilac - I hope you can get the help you need too x

12. lilachardy

I can't decide whether to attempt to return to work, or to go back to the GP.

13. bacardibreezer

Well, you know what I think: it's a no-brainer.
    If you go to your GP, you will be helping to relieve my anxiety considerably. There - now you have to go, otherwise you'll feel guilty [​IMG]

14. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I'm no expert but I think both BB and Lilac should see their GPs tomorrow.
    I worry about you both and I'm sure others do too.

15. BB, promise yourself now that you'll phone the doc in the morning. You know there'll be a queue and it will be a pain, so if you're up tight by the time you get through, don't worry if you cry. It will remind them you do need to see the doctor. Alternately, is there someone who can phone for you, someone who really knows how you're struggling?
    Lilac, you too.

16. lilachardy

I expect I'll feel very cross with myself if I don't go though.
    It's only going to get harder.

17. I bit the bullet last week - the anxiety was killing me - cried so hard and uncontrollably that I burst a capillary in my eye - scared myself I just completely lost control so went to GP - admitted defeat - has been med free for over a year - and now back on meds.
    A high level of anxiety can be really debilitating - i have every sympathy - hope you can both get to GP and that they are able to provide support

18. I agree about the OCD aspects of "if I drink something bad will happen", do mention it to your GP, they will be able to help for sure.

19. Only thing with getting an emergency appointment if your surgery is anything like ours - are you going to get in with one of the "good" doctors within the practice? Just a thought - but there are GPs in my surgery I know would have just chucked a pep talk at me and sent me on my way, so it was more worth my while to wait a few days to get in with the somewhat overbooked one who has actually looked at the roots of my problem and tried to find a way to work it (involving dealing with a hospital-based mental health team via letter because she understands I can't cope with going INTO the hospital in question myself)... but the horrid snowball of anxiety in your chest feeling is blooming awful.