1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would I be qualified as a teaching assistant and to what level?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by freckles88, Dec 14, 2010.

1. I have spent the last 4 years training as a teacher, but unfortunatley I failed my last teaching practice. I am now considering whether I can hack the demands of being a teacher or whether a teaching assistant would be a role more suited to me, as I get to work in a school setting with children which I love, but without the stress and workload that comes with being a teacher...
    I could leave university now with a degree in primary education studies as I have enough credits for this as I have passed my BEd course apart from my attachment 4 placement. I have taught in schools, planned lessons, worked on IEP's, APP etc etc. Would this qualify me to apply for jobs as a TA or do I need I to actually have the NVQ as a teaching assistant? And if my qualification is sufficient, at what level would I be considered?
    Thanks =)

2. You don't currently need any qualifications to be a TA but my school for one are now encouraging everyone to be level 3 qualified for their own development. Basically you could apply for any level advertised, if you were successful, that's your level.

3. F1sydney

F1sydney New commenter

Hi
    I was applying for TA jobs before I did my degree and didn't get a look in. As soon as I put I have an education degree on my application BINGO[​IMG] I got the first job I applied for after uni. I loved being a TA (currently a student teacher/ not for much longer I hope as I'm looking for a TA job again). You are so right, as a TA I was taking groups, doing clubs, working on IEPs and my time in the classroom really made a difference, and the best thing was I could walk away at the end of the day without the stress of planning and assessment, holidays were holidays and I loved the weekends.
    I say go for it, if you love working with children but don't want the stress of teaching it's the perfect job. The pay isn't great but that really didn't bother me, I was happy in my job and a lot of people can't say that.

Best of luck you are more than qualified, I wish you all the best.