1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would I be out of order to email the postholder of the mat leave I'm covering?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Torey, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

If you know her well enough to go out for a meal and ask 'casually' that could be fine. If you only know her well enough to email, then don't.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Do not contact the ML teacher! She doesn't know you, I gather, and will not make up her mind to suit your needs and could consider it unwarranted pressure. The school will not like you approaching her either.
    She has guidelines on how and when she needs to contact the employer when she has made her decision and the employer then communicates with you.
    Does your leaving have to be at the usual dates for permanent teachers? I'm sure you could give notice, if required, early in March to leave in early May.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

As someone who has been on maternity leave I would not have considered it appropriate for my cover teacher to contact me and enquire about my intended date of return. As for 'going out for a meal' - nice idea, but I am not sure I would have been up to that with anyone with small baby in tow let alone a distant colleague.

4. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Whilst it isn't normal to contact someone you are on ML cover for, I can see your problem. Is there someone else (NOT SLT) who is a friend of the teacher on maternity cover who could explain your situation to her so that she can tell you via this friend - if she is prepared to - what she is thinking of doing? I think this would be better than direct contact...

5. AdmiralNelson

With respect, I have completed 4 MLs in different schools and each time the teacher on ML was quite happy to tell me what their thinking was at that time, and if they changed their mind (as happened once) then that too. Nor did I know any of the teachers beforehand...
    Just politeness, really...

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would not have been happy to be badgered when I was on leave myself, and, with respect, perhaps those you approached were being polite in not saying so.

7. AdmiralNelson

Didn't badger, but was grateful for their professionalism (as they were, I hope, for mine).

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I just don't see why any informal enquireies are necessary.
    The Postholder will have indicated to the Head already whether they are returning after 6 months' ML or are likely to be availing themeselves of X months unpaid ML. The Head will have communicated that to the cover teacher.
    The postholder then uses their specified notice periods to confirm those original plans for a return date or to update the Head about any earlier or later return dates.
    That is what the OP has found, being informed of the first intended return date and then a revised one.

9. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am going to hand in my notice, decision made. The school cannot mess me about with contract end dates then.
    I think she would actually prefer to be kept in the loop. Rather than enquiring about her return date, she can now simply be told of my date of departure by the head.
    Personally, I would not feel pressured if my cover or the head contacted me while on leave to ask me if I knew when I was returning. If I didn't know, I would simply say that! But that is where we are all different.
    She may actually end up feeling under pressure now I am leaving anyway because she won't want the kids to have a supply teacher in the interim. She is a real control freak and was very particular that she told me how everything needed to be done on handover. A supply teacher will not know any of this and it will worry her....but I guess I need to look after number one, just like everyone else is in this situation.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They may or may not inform her of your departure. her return date will not be affected by yours. She can still 'go the distance' if she so chooses and the school will simply employ a supply teacher as a second cover teacher.

11. becky70

becky70 New commenter

You absolutely do need to do this.
    It's the postholder's right to decide when to return but it's fair enough if you decide you've had enough of the uncertainty and walk away.
    I would agree as others have said that you shouldn't contact her.

12. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

No I won't be contacting her, I have decided that in case it does upset/worry her.
    Thank you everyone for your comments and views, it has been very helpful.

13. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

When you write your resignation letter, it might be worth being totally upfront about the situation:
    - because I thought the maternity cover was ending at Easter, I've applied for jobs starting then
    - the interviews haven't actually happened yet, and so if I'm unsuccessful, and the maternity cover still needs covering after Easter after all, I may be available to continue working on a supply basis.
    That way, if you don't get the new posts, there's a chance that they might keep you on - after all, in that case, that would be best for everyone. (If you can do in on a supply basis, then you're not tied with notice periods, and you'll also get the higher daily rate of pay to compensate for the fact that you're not going to get the summer holiday pay.)