1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would building teacher homes on site help to boost recruitment?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Well said Maximilian. Providing cheap housing for teachers on the school grounds is just a way keeping wages low. Just like the tied cottage it entraps young staff so the school gets a cheap, compliant workforce.

stonerose and thekillers1 like this.
  2. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Can imagine getting a knock on the door from well wishing SLT when you call in sick.

3. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

The whole idea absolutely stinks and has the potential for all sorts of corruption and embezzlement.

I'm really sick of stating the obvious to this disgusting excuse for a government:

To raise recruitment: Pay more and make the job of teaching more tolerable

(as it is borderline impossible for tens of thousands of teachers - especially those trapped in inner-city academies).

It's not F@kin rocket science, is it?

4. maggie m

maggie m Occasional commenter

The same in my first school in rural Essex. The school had six 3 bedroomed houses . Residents got use of the school pool and tennis courts at weekends.

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I remember a naive French teacher moving into the house at the end of the school driveway, just on the top of the city, right by the biggest council estate in Europe.Following a lovely summer break of abuse, eggings etc, she moved on.

6. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

This actually made me laugh out loud - and then check the calendar to see if it was April 1st.

7. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

Why not use military style barracks? You could use portacabins for these. Teachers could be inspected to ensure they comply with the dress code, have their lesson plans and stationery set out on their beds for inspection before the school day begins, any malingerers would have to report to the school nurse before being allowed to see their own GP - they'd need a signed pass to leave the campus anyway. All meals would be eaten on site unless leave had been granted by the headteacher. Teachers who require extra support would not be granted leave but could be back-squadded to NQT status and to eliminate the retention crisis make teachers sign up to for 20 years - if they want to quit before that they would have to buy their way out. If this causes further recruitment problems, then we will have to introduce conscription.

8. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

And if women get married they have to go- like in the old days - in case they ask for maternity leave. Crying babies might disturb other teachers from their marking.

9. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Or parents wanting a word during the weekend?

stonerose, BetterNow and palmtree100 like this.
  10. thekillers1

This isn’t the NHS dear - this is another cost saving exercise.

11. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Clostrophobic....

BetterNow likes this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Or Bullingdon?

13. Jamvic

Jamvic Established commenter

I know. :D Tell my phone.

14. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

I think that building teacher's homes on site is an excellent idea, because it would enable them to work even longer hours and additionally, if they lost their job then they would loose their home too.
    Brilliant idea.

15. thekillers1

E57A427C-A400-4C92-8C9E-6DA6E281ADCA.jpeg

BetterNow likes this.