1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would building teacher homes on site help to boost recruitment?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 6, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

If MATs could use their land to build new, affordable homes for some of their staff, would it really attract much-needed teachers?

‘Again and again, we hear of teachers simply not able to live anywhere near their schools, and, as a result, this add hours of travel to their already long days. When teachers have to pay in the region of £1,000 per month for a room in a house-share, is it any surprise that some jobs are unfilled term after term?

Larger multi-academy trusts are starting to look at this issue. The Harris Federation is leading the charge with a proposed development of 100 homes in partnership with a housing association. Other forward-thinking trusts, such as E-ACT and United Learning, are similarly keen to engage with the challenge.’

What are your views on this issue? Would you be tempted to work in a school if there were new affordable homes on site as part of the work benefits? Would this incentive really help to boost recruitment? Was affordable housing in the area a consideration before you accepted your current job? Have you turned down a job because the cost of housing in the area was too expensive for you to afford? Can you afford to live in the area where you work or do you travel to work? If no, how much is the average rent and how long is your commute? Would you like to live on a school site or would you prefer to live further away?

https://www.tes.com/news/build-teacher-homes-site-boost-recruitment

2. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

It is interesting how many MAT trust members who are also associated with the building trade or are developers, land agents etc

This would suggest to the cynic in me that far from being an altruistic initiative that there is a long term and much disingenuous side to this

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

This mirrors what happens in many boarding schools in the independent sector.
    Advantages: less commuting (benefits school and teacher); lower rents; might be able to live in a bigger/better situated house than otherwise; if relocating, no hassle over finding a house in time for the start of term
    Disadvantages: less escape from school; lost opportunity to build up equity in own house; if rent is very low there may be tax implications.

4. -Maximilian-

-Maximilian- New commenter

Who would want to live on-site? No escape from work! Plus, it’s probably just a way for MATs to sell off school land or build houses and sell them off for short term profit. Here’s a novel idea - pay people more! Give staff a decent pay rise - at least meeting inflation would be a start!

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

This isn't a new idea - the school I worked at as an NQT was in the Cotswolds and built twelve houses for staff in 1966 because they realised that local housing wasn't affordable.

The strange thing was that it wasn't mentioned that there was a house available until after the interview, just as I was pondering whether I could afford to live in the area.

Living next to a rural school wasn't a problem as 99% of the students came on the bus so I never saw any of them outside school hours.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Yes, and biggest disadvantage of all, leave your job (or get pushed out) and you lose your home.

7. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Wouldn't be hard for a student or parent with a grudge to find you out of hours...

8. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Occasional commenter

9. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Occasional commenter

Ohh, I laughed so much it will take hours for trousers to dry

Mrsmumbles, BetterNow and Jamvic like this.
  10. Jamvic

Jamvic Occasional commenter

Here we go. :rolleyes: What a load of bullingham. Knew it was all about the land from the start.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  11. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

No. Never live above the shop.

12. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Well, homes used to be provided for nurses. I'd be happy to see this re-introduced first, as they are far more worthy than most teachers.

13. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I don't think it will help - it might attract some people into teaching, but will they stick around long once they realise the workload and other stressful aspects? Are there enough people desperate for housing who are able to become teachers that it would make a significant impact on teacher recruitment - in my opinion probably not.

Interest free mortgages would probably make a much bigger impact, but probably can't be introduced at MAT level.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  14. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

What happens when the young teacher burns out and the academy start their bullying to get them out?

Shedman and BetterNow like this.
  15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

When I started work, decades ago, it turned out that there was a former police house about a mile from the school that the county council rented out to teachers in a house share. It turned out a fair number of my colleagues had lived there at one time or another. I enjoyed 2 years of friendship with colleagues while I got financially stable enough to contemplate house purchase.
    The housing market is much harder now. I'm not sure that on the site would quite be what people want these days.

16. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher New commenter

Mr so-and-so is off work today.
    I'll just pop onto the field and knock on his door to sort out his cover work. He won't mind...

17. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I'd rather be eaten by wild monkeys.

yodaami2 and BetterNow like this.
  18. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

The cynic in me thinks that this will enable staff to roll out of bed straight into work in the morning and then the opposite in the evening !!!!!

BetterNow likes this.
  19. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Occasional commenter

Imagine if the results of your next observation or book scrutiny might leave you under threat of homelessness as well as losing your job.

It's hard to think of a more idiotic idea.

yodaami2 and Shedman like this.
  20. BetterNow

BetterNow New commenter

I can't think of anything worse than living on site.

I love the drive home - peeling off the stress and leaving work far behind (supply work). It's cathartic.

ETA can you imagine calling in sick, yet living on site?!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Mr_Frosty, hammie and Shedman like this.