1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would a PGCE still be a useful qualification if...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by gcmaths, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ....I decided not to go into teaching after all? Doing a mathematics PGCE at the moment, and am oscillating between loving it and hating it (and then loving it again...and so on, hence the oscillation!). I can't help feeling sometimes I'm more interested in maths than I am in teaching (as much as I enjoy being in the classroom actually teaching maths lessons), but much of the advice I've been given has been 'stick at it, because then you'll always have the qualification' - the question is would the qualification be any use if I didn't end up teaching?

2. ....I decided not to go into teaching after all? Doing a mathematics PGCE at the moment, and am oscillating between loving it and hating it (and then loving it again...and so on, hence the oscillation!). I can't help feeling sometimes I'm more interested in maths than I am in teaching (as much as I enjoy being in the classroom actually teaching maths lessons), but much of the advice I've been given has been 'stick at it, because then you'll always have the qualification' - the question is would the qualification be any use if I didn't end up teaching?

3. GodOfBiscuits

GodOfBiscuits New commenter

Would you rather employ somebody who completed a qualification but didn't want to work in that field, or someone who started a qualification but dropped out half way through?

4. Sure, there are certain employment areas you can explore with your PGCE/QTS. There are things like being a training officer in industry, education officer in museums, stately homes and other attractions/sights, and private tutoring. The thing is, though, that a lot of experienced teachers are looking to move into non-school environment and competition will be keen, with preference given to those with several years of teaching experience, but there's no reason not to try. Also worth exploring are education publishing, education IT and software development, research etc. Or you can just use your Maths qualifications to get a job in industry.
    Remember, though, job hunting is very difficult at the moment even for the best qualified, and don't expect to walk into a dream job. You may have to survive on temps and low-skills jobs until something more suitable turns up.