1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would 39 be too old to teach on the continent?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by andrew07, Nov 10, 2015.

1. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Good evening

I am moving abroad and would like to ask whether countries on the continent would consider 39 too old. I was told that in one particular country that there are many young people and that due to my age, I would be at a disadvantage. Is it this way in all European countries?

2. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Not in Spain, I arrived here at the age of 47. (But got no extra money for my 'experience'.) In fact some other, younger, less experienced teachers (who arrived after me) were paid more.

3. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Wow, not good. I've just finished my MA and have British citizenship (American). I guess if I really want to teach until I start my doctoral, I would have it better in the states. I certainly don't want to teach here anymore.

4. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

If you are a UK citizen (I don't think there is any such thing as a British citizen or an American citizen, you would be a US citizen - this may seem pedantic but these things can make a difference when applying for jobs or doing international paperwork) and carry a UK passport then the EU rules on freedom of movement for labour apply to you; as long as the country you are applying to is a member.

5. mikemcdonald25

Now to be pedantic! I hope your 'doctoral' is not in English, as that may go against you when applying for jobs!

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

some teachers gain certificates for personal growth, some wrongly think it will help them get jobs. I've come across MA/MEds with little understanding of classroom management.
    39 is not too old, by a long stretch, but the issues will be if the cheaper schools are only looking for cheaper teachers.
    Go find yourself by taking a low paid job in Asia. It will do wonders for your personal growth and understanding on education.

7. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Can someone please confirm that this is actually not a WUM post.

In other news, could someone confirm that if I secured a position in a SE Asian International school I wouldn't have to use a squatting toilet. Just don't think I could lower myself to that level.

8. MisterMaker

Such toilets are better for your digestive system than the western style.

9. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

I really don't think age is an issue here, but attitudes and intentions can be. I'd advise that if you're looking seriously for work then you don't let on that you're just seeing it as a stop-gap until you start a doctorate.

10. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Agreed. The OP's recent posts do create an image of a dilettante with an inclination to blame others for whatever is not right in her life.

11. mikemcdonald25

"Such toilets are better for your digestive system than the western style."

But b****y hard work on the knees MM!

12. MisterMaker

13. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Then you need one of these :D

14. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Flushed with success, SPC2? Or is this thread going down the pan?

SPC2 likes this.
  16. MisterMaker

Where can I buy one?