1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worthwhile independent Literacy activities - Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by wwvirgin, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Please help.
    In phase 1 of Literacy Unit we're doing loads and loads of Guided reading (and generally reading a lot in school, as children are poor readers). I have an LSA and therefore have 2 groups reading, but 2 groups on their own.
    I'm finding it really hard to think of worthwhile activities the children can be involved in what aren't just filling time.
    I have a big mixture of children, some that can't read their own names and some solid 1b readers.
    Any suggestions?

REALLY hope so as this is driving me mad!

2. Please help.
    In phase 1 of Literacy Unit we're doing loads and loads of Guided reading (and generally reading a lot in school, as children are poor readers). I have an LSA and therefore have 2 groups reading, but 2 groups on their own.
    I'm finding it really hard to think of worthwhile activities the children can be involved in what aren't just filling time.
    I have a big mixture of children, some that can't read their own names and some solid 1b readers.
    Any suggestions?

REALLY hope so as this is driving me mad!

3. Hi
    I was just about to start a thread asking the exact same thing! Today whilst some of my children were reading I had the others doing a 'sound board' so I gave them a grid with just single sounds on and asked them to draw me a picture of something that begins with this sound eg 'a' - ant. This worked well today but I need more ideas! Please let me know if you get told any!!!!
    Thanks

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

Whilst my TA and myself do guided reading, the rest of the class access continuous provision acrtivities.

5. Are you working with Year 1? I just find the room to be too noisy to hear the readers if the other children are freely choosing their activities? Do you have this problem?

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I've used a number of activities for other groups during guided reading time:
    • role play area
    • phonic games on the computer (ideally need 2 computers so that a whole group can be there)
    • phonic wordsearches
    • writing table (variety of resources eg writing frames, little books, postcards, cards etc - children write whatever they want, and get to take it home)
    • games (alphabet puzzles, match word and picture, bingo etc)
    • sharing books with a friend in the book corner
    The role play area could get a bit noisy, so I always made sure that my guided reading group was at the other end of the classroom.

twinkle277 likes this.
  7. Like to sound board idea -just need 100 million more to last me the rest of the year!!
    We won't have a role play area in our Year 1 classroom (Primary school, lead by a very KS2 approach SMT)

8. comenius

comenius New commenter

I was worried about the noise level witht he children accessing cp while 2 groups did guided reads (I have 18 boys ad 10 girls!!) but its actually been fine. I think the fact that there are lots of different areas that are chaged weekly helps as they always have something new to explore and don't get bored. Plus sand, water, dough and painting is just outside the classroom, so if anyone gets too loud they're asked to go outside for a bit!!!

twinkle277 likes this.
  9. I work better with a quiet classroom when working on guided reading, as do my children, so I was quite interested to read the ideas on this thread!
    I do the following literacy based activities:
    * Words from early in the reading scheme on cards for the children to make sentences.
    * Initial sound matching - matching the letter to the picture.
    * Writing as many words as they can beginning with ..... on a whiteboard.
    * Making their name out of playdough or pipecleaners.
    * Letter formation sheets and laminates.
    * Put a photograph on the IWB and ask the children to write a caption for it on their whiteboard.
    Just a few ideas.

twinkle277 likes this.
  10. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

I usually have 5 groups- 1 group reading with me, a group reading topic books independently, tracing/threading- fine motor activities, matching pictures and cvc words, writing phomemes with chalk outside, grafitti writing- write a list of tricky words on the board and chn use felt tip pens to write them in lots of different styles in their draft books.

twinkle277 likes this.
  11. thanks for the help, it is much appreciated

12. I've set up a few guided reading boxes that our easy to get out - and don't need any preperation.
    Here's what they've got in them....
    - Leaflets/Maps (picked up from Tourist Information) - ch. love looking at these - also put in toy catalogues etc.
    - Where's Wally books/Comics
    - Special writing box with nice paper/pens/envelopes
    Also sometimes have groups doing the following
    computer/role play/dictionaries (word hunt)/ phonix/ phonics dice/ magnetic letters and boards/ non-fiction books/ book corner/ writing area.
    Hope that helps.

twinkle277 likes this.
  13. Hi

I have also struggled with this - especially without a TA! Now my children work in mixed ability pairs while I do guided reading (HA with LA and MA with Upper MA). They take turns to read their own school reading book to each other then: play eye spy looking at words and pictures, find something in their book beginning with each letter of the alphabet, pick a letter/phoneme out of the bag and find as many things beginning with that letter in their books as possible, think of adjectives for each character or setting, find time words or connectives in the their books, think about how each character feels, draw a story mp of their book, find question and exclamation marks and practise adding necessary expression, look for speech marks and practise changing their voices for each different character.

I hope this helps x

twinkle277 likes this.