1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worth trying supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by chess_knight, Feb 28, 2012.

1. I am considering leaving my NQT post (and may well have my contract terminated soon). I am at the end of my tether, but I do not want to leave teaching. People I have spoken to, including my NUT rep, have suggested trying to get supply work. Is it worth a try? People seem to be worrying about a lack of supply work, so am I just setting myself up for more stress and being unable to pay my rent and bills?

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

You will be told, in no uncertain terms, by people on here exactly what I am about to tell you.
    Do not give up your job. Being made redundant is one thing, but walking away from a job is foolhardy in these difficult times.
    Just read all the threads and you'll get a very clear picture of the situation out there.

3. Unless you are extremely lucky there is no point even considering supply work. You are highly unlikely to get enough work to cover your day-to-day living expenses. I'm surprised that your NUT rep didn't say this.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A fine illustration of the Unions' complete lack of a grip on the reality of supply work at present. Were these 'People' supply teachers?

5. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Do not pack in your job. There is very little supply work about for the majority of people out there. It does depend on area, subject and whether you are primary or secondary, but generally there isn't a great deal.
    Perhaps the NUT rep isn't aware of the supply teaching situation. Why would they be? They have a full time, permanent job and they care more about their pensions than unemployed teachers.

6. I agree totally with what everone else has said here, do not throw away your job... You only need to have a look on the jobseekers forum to see how desperately hard it is at the moment and the number of teachers, especially NQTs, who would give their right arm for a post. I was one of them!!
    Try other avenues first before deciding to give it up, I understand that you must be finding it very difficult if you are considering leaving, but you will be moving into a situation that is even worse. There is very little to no supply, I have been so so lucky, but I am one of only a few who has had long term work.
    Find someone to talk to first about your worries and concerns before deciding what it is you're going to do.
    Best Wishes
    S4mm13