1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worth quitting teaching for?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LisaMarie_M, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Apologies in advance for the slightly rant-y nature of this post!
    I am a NQT who has taken up supply work due to lack of suitable jobs (German teachers aren't exactly the most in demand!).
    I had a placement at a school in South London from January that seemed to be going well, I had very positive feedback from my NQT mentor and co-ordinator. The MFL department had an Ofsted review (not inspection) in the penultimate week of term (my 5th week of teaching). When I tracked down the Ofsted inspectors - they were not readily offering up feedback - I was informed that, had this been a real inspection, I would have received unsatisfactory. That was Friday afternoon.
    I was informed on the Monday that the school would be getting rid of me and the end of the week (and they were able to as I was technically supply).
    Initially, I was supposed to be there til at least the end of the academic year, it ended up being 6 weeks in total (not even a term of NQT induction). Obviously I was pretty miffed and sought union advice but had no chance being 'supply'.
    My question to you experienced teachers: Is this thing fairly typical? Will there be more of this kind of treatment of staff (Ofsted results before staff morale - it really angered the other teachers)?
    Obviously I didn't cut the mustard, but I think given some support from the HoD and some time, I could have improved slightly! On the other hand, maybe I could seek out a less challenging career than teaching!

2. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Management will see it as such:

If OFSTED do arrive in a few weeks time and judge you unsatisfactory they will ask the Head why he is still employing you as you are temporary. He will be marked down for lack of leadership. He could lose his job. His solution is he replaces you. Sad world we presently live in x

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

It wouldnt be as easy to get rid of you if you were on contract rather than daily supply. I think it would also depend on the general grading of the school. A good/outstanding school may be more willing to support you, but a satisfactory isnt good enough school probably cant take the risk anymore.
    Why did they say the lesson was unsatisfactory? What did you get for your teaching practice placements? Do you love teaching? If placements were good then dont give up hope, but ultimately only you can decide if the job is for you. So sorry you have fallen foul of the party politics.[​IMG]

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I don't get why the head would be questioned as to why he/she is keeping the temporary member of staff on at the school just because of ONE unsatisfactory observation. You'd think, rather, they'd be asking, "What is being done by leaders in the school to support a member of staff who has received an 'unsatisfactory' rating?" and that the school should be willing to spend time and energy on helping all staff to improve, not just the permanent ones.
    After all, continuity is very important for the children and getting a new teacher at any point in the year, especially in year 10/11 when there are often exams throughout the year, is counter-productive. Who's to say the next temporary member of staff is going to fare any better? How many supply staff will they employ until they find one they are satisfied with?
    And why on earth is ONE observed lesson resulting in terminating a contract, temporary or otherwise? THAT smacks of poor leadership to me.
    But that's probably not a "management way of thinking".

5. I agree. How do people do those thumbs up things?

6. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I think you have been treated harshly and unkindly, but unfortunately it does seem to be a bit of a trend - the attitude when I first qualified was that everyone had bad lessons but it was a question of gritting your teeth (and closing the door and hoping no one from SMT came in!)
    Last year I had one inadequate lesson, my first ever, and had a horrible experience as a result so I really sympathise. It's made me really nervous about being observed as well which I wasn't before.
    Please don't leave teaching though - I am sure you have a great deal to offer x

7. It must be the most difficult subject to teach - languages. IMHO The number of times I have seen young language teachers give up because they are spending so much time preparing lessons only to find their students don't give a s***. So demotivating.
    Unless you really enjoy teaching (and teaching is not something learnt in a year) then suggest you will be far better off using your languages in industry where you will be appreciated.

8. i remeber being offered three days work at a school through an agency, which I accepted. I then got an e-mail detailing the lessons I would be teaching and the initials of the member of staff who would be observing four of the five lessons. In addition, I was asked to e-mail detailed lesson plans for each lesson in advance (this was Friday morning for the work to start on the following Manday) as well as copies of two SOWs, which I had written. There was also a lot of 'guff' about as I did not have the school's CRB clearance, I would have to chaperonned around the school. As work was short, I e-mailed my lesson plans, which, I assume were not considered good enough, as the booking was cancelled, early on Monday morning.
    For three days work! Good grief!

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

OPEN SQ BRACKET
    CAPITAL Y
    CLOSE SQ BRACKET
    [ Y ]
    [​IMG]