1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worth doing a masters?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by captain_picard, Jul 18, 2018.

1. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

My degree is in History but I've had several years teaching English. I'm now looking to move up to HoD. Do you think my degree will hold me back? Do you think it's worth doing a masters in English in order to get a HoD role?

Thanks!

2. teacher4l1fe

teacher4l1fe New commenter

Definitely worth doing a masters to give yourself more credibility as a HoD, even if not in your current school if you want to move at any point will make life easier.

Saying that a masters isn't cheap and takes up a lot of time!

3. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Don't do it just for the promotion prospects but I think it's a valuable qualification.

4. rachelsays

rachelsays New commenter

I've (almost!) finished doing my MA in an area of English literature part-time. It's been incredibly hard work. I've loved it, but juggling full time work (I'm already English HOD) and studying for a literature MA has not been easy and I've had to make a lot of sacrifices both personally and financially to get through it.

I did mine purely for pleasure, with no mind for how it would impact on my teaching, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how much of a better teacher it's made me in terms of increasing my subject knowledge and developing my critical reading facilities. I would definitely say that for me it has been worth it, but I'd only recommend doing it if you have a real passion for literature and a genuine interest in the course texts and topics you'll be studying. If you don't have that, you may well find it a struggle to last the course. So many people dropped out of my MA at various stages because they didn't have enough enthusiasm and passion to get them through. The potential goal of promotion may well sustain you if passion doesn't, but you'll have to really want it because when you're stuck indoors studying for yet another weekend/over half term, you really need to love what you're researching to keep you motivated.

Good luck making your decision!

rehaank and sabrinakat like this.
  5. KMac99

KMac99 New commenter

Have you considered a Middle Leaders course or qualification? It might be a good alternative to doing a masters and probably a sight cheaper.

6. rehaank

rehaank Occasional commenter

Do a PhD instead. Who doesn't want to be called Dr? ;)

7. aypi

aypi Established commenter

My son did a Maths Degree. To make himself more employable he did a masters, again in maths. He was not challenged, think he found it trivial. He started a phd and that involved a second masters. This was when I learned the term bi-modal. One mode was the ones doing a phd, 80% in assessments, the other was the ones paying, "50"% in assessments. The quotes are my sons.
    Apply for jobs, if you are not HOD after a couple of years, rethink.

8. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 New commenter

A higher degree can also open the door to work in HE / ITT. Nowadays, in any subject, because the proportion of people with a first degree is so much higher than in the past, a masters is one way to distinguish yourself from others. I certainly see it as an asset when recruiting and found mine rewarding - but hard work.