1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worth a read - Danny Dorling Article.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ROSIEGIRL, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

much to agree with, and it seems so obvious when it's put so eloquently. I wonder how many of today's children with their armfuls of GCSEs could write so clearly and articulately.

3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

A very truthful article.

But the rot sets in when the usual rubbishy "solution" emerges - a wishy washy whitewash of utterly tired old ideas which led to the problems we have in the first place. The Guardian left - and everyone else it seems - cannot escape from the notion that "study" is important for children.

"So how can we make things better? Education should not be about competing so hard for grades or being misled so much by adults – as children are over the terms of student loans, for example. It should be about learning, growing and enjoying studying – and in our recent past it was more like that."

Note the phrase Dorling uses ..."Education should not be about competing so hard for grades ".

There then follows a load of lame **** about changing how schools are governed, and how it was all great just a couple of decades ago.

There is nothing stopping Guardian types completely reinventing the notion of the education system so that it really does address the things they say they are concerned about. But it seems that compulsory oxbow lakes, quadratic equations and Shakespeare wrapped up in an expensive management system to their political tastes are all they can come up with.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why do you need governing bodies?

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I have to say, the bit that really jumped out at me was about Academy governing bodies -

"Our current model is colonial. It is education for other people’s children. Many academy trustees will use private schools for their own children. They are trustees as some kind of act of charity where they try to “do their bit” for the lower orders."

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

That's not just academy governing bodies - the whole government is based on that model. You can tell because they all want to return to their own childhood experiences, ignoring the fact that replicating their schools won't replicate all the other factors needed for children to grow into happy, successful, curious and capable people.

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The academy process has given a much needed excuse for so called progressive educationalists to carry on refusing to countenance any change to the nature of the education system.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You don't. Schools in Scotland manage very well without them.

lanokia and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. Flere-Imsaho

Does nobody have a use for them?

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My old academy chain had chairs of governors that were heads of other schools in the chain. The rest of the governing body were made up of other employees of the academy chain from senior level. Not very open or transparent and guaranteed to not have to answer difficult questions. All networking meetings had senior academy staff spies there to ensure no one dare criticise the academy. I'm surprised the director isn't up in that list as their wage was easily up with those figures. £100k increase one year alone. All other 'unwaged' directors selling services to the chain. It stinks.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Heads do [some heads] as in...

The Governors are concerned about performance in your subject area [meaning: I told them I had concerns about performance in your subject area]

Or

The Governors are going to liaise with your department [someone who knows very little about actual teaching is going to ask a lot of obvious questions]

Or

The Governors analysed the data at their last meeting [we showed them our pretty spreadsheets and they gave us candy!]