1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worth a mention to the doctor?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon3946, Apr 5, 2012.

1. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow anyway but a friend is pushing me to tell them that I'm feeling horribly anxious and panicky at the moment. True, yes, but it's all situational- struggling with placement, finances, divorcing parents, very isolated- and I have my doubts as to what they could/would do. No point medicating when it's outside factors and I have no time/money for counselling (and have always got on notoriously badly with it in the past- often leaving me in a worse state than I started).
    Friend is concerned about my insomnia, erratic eating, slight obsessive habits- I say this is just stress and what can the doctor actually DO? (Sign me off? I just CAN'T- I was ill recently and even having one day off made everything much much worse; and I really don't want it on my medical record for schools to see when they hire me (haha!))
    I'm sure that once I'm off placement and into a job, two of the issues will resolve themselves- and there's nothing a doctor can do about isolation/parental concerns; but my friend keeps pestering.
    Should I mention this to my doctor or just reassure my friend all is fine and maybe tell her less in future so she doesn't worry?

2. Poor you. I've never responded well to any kind of medication, but you could have counselling a 'talking therapy' on the NHS. That may be a start.

3. Talk to your doctor.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I think you should mention it.
    I know it's all external factors but they are causing you real stress and your doc should know.
    Counselling might be an option that would help - there may be a waiting list so get on it now! And you can find an hour every week or fortnight.
    Read your post back to yourself - if it was your friend who was feeling ' horribly anxious and panicky' and showing signs of ' insomnia, erratic eating, slight obsessive habits' - what would you say?
    (I know what it's like to be stressed by factors beyond your control - it can do no harm to talk)

5. Thanks for the replies- I wussed out last time and just discussed the issue I orginally went about but have rescheduled for tomorrow AND told a friend who wants to know how it goes. And now you guys. In a bid to force myself to stop being a damn *** about it.

6. Blanked out word states my daftness/stupidity and confuses me as to why it's blanked out

7. How did you get on?

8. She was very good, very sympathetic without being cloying. She's put me on a mild dose of an anti-anxiety pill and wants to see me again in 3 weeks to monitor progress, though has said that if I need to talk to someone before then, to come in and see her. She understood my massive reservations about counselling but said if I changed my mind, she'd happily refer me on- but also pointed out that my uni has those services which may have a shorter waiting list.

9. IndigoandViolet

IndigoandViolet New commenter

Hey,

Sorry to hear life is so tough at the moment. I know the feeling of being stressed and knowing it's just because life is stressful, and unless someone's going to come and mark those books for you, not much is going to help!

However, you mentioned isolation. Remember, if you ever need anyone to talk to, the Samaritans or Teacher Support Network are always there. You *don't* have to be suicidal to call the Samaritans, and sometimes it's really nice to speak to someone who is categorically not allowed to offer any advice! They just sit, listen, and offer sympathetic noises. It's nice, and they're always there.

I&V