1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worst Subject to Coordinate?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cally1980, Sep 3, 2011.

1. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Ive always thought PE & ICT, what do you think?

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Ive always thought PE & ICT, what do you think?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I hated ICT because if the PC / laptop/ IWB / roamer /camera ... didn't work I was expected to drop everything to fix it

4. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

100% ICT - people at my school genuinely believe it is my job to fix anything that plugs in! I have even been asked to try and fix a Casio keyboard, I politely declined.

5. I think PE definitely. In my school there is a full time ICT technician who sorts out all the probs, so the ICT Co-ordinator gets a much easier time of it. PE seems to take up so much more time than everything else in my school.

6. ICT definately. I don't think people appreciate how much time it takes from you. Especially my SMT, because they chucked Science and MFLon me too, plus International School Projects, maintaining the school website and the MLE/VLE. Then took away managment time because of money and people going on maternity leave.
    I do love ICT though. [​IMG]

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think it depends on you personally,
    if you're not musical Music is difficult (and there's always the music for the school play etc.),
    not practical -DT's not a good option,
    unsporty- PE's out (and you always have to organise after school matches, clubs sports day etc.),
    not scientifically minded -beware Science etc. etc.

8. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

PE. Specially if you aren't sporty yourself. Nothing worse than having to go and stand in the pouring rain / freezing cold at various sports tournaments in your own time!!

9. Funny - I was thinking ICT & PE as the thread was opening, and then the first post said...
    ...ICT & PE!
    If it were only the curriculum side of things, ICT would be OK, but I'm not a technician, nor do I have a magic wand... although I'm learning fast!
    Luckily I don't have PE myself, but it wouldn't be the events that bother me as much as the endless "sorting out" of the PE cupboard, especially if it's one of those dark cobwebby outside ones where the mice have been feeding on the beanbags and nesting between the netball bibs..
    However brilliantly the co-ordinator organises/labels things, The Cupboard/Shed always seems to end up in a horrible tangle of boxes, buckets and bags...
    C x

10. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

You've just reminded me this is probably what I'll be going back to on Monday!!
    I think PE and ICT are just as tough. With PE, you're expected to run clubs and organise matches/sports day, for little thanks. With ICT you have to moan at people for wasting ink and chase up companies to fix stuff, for little thanks.
    It's just annoying that at our school, ICT comes with a TLR and PE doesn't.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think it depends on your school. In my school the only people who do anything at all are literacy and sometimes maths, but they both get a TLR, so ought to do something.

The most anyone else does really is ask if there is anything you need ordering at the end of the year. So any would be fine.

ICT got hers by telling the world how fab at ICT she is and how experienced with excellent ICT in lessons from previous schools. Serves her right as she then got to be co-ord. She does absolutely nowt! DH sorts out technical problems and subject co-ords sort out ICT within their subjects.

12. ICT, PE and Music.

13. Agreed.
    ICT - expected to drop all and fix problems other staff encounter, including their forgetting to turn the blummin thing on at the wall.
    PE - expectation to attend clubs and matches as well as host sports day.
    Music - Having to play in assembly/for concerts etc.
    I've done 2 of the three in the past. However, I now have a core subject to co-ordinate and find that as troublesome. Responsibility for results in y6 when you don't teacher there yourself, as well as time spent reporting to govs etc.

14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

ICT and DT. Always handed to the youngest on the staff, who wag tails in thanks!

15. DT!? Hard to coordinate!?
    ICT - But then again, it is the only subject ive coordinated. I enjoy ICT and as others have said if it were just the curriculum side of it it would be OK, but the technical side of it and purchasing/setting up equipment is huge.
    PE for all the after school clubs/matches that need organising.
    Literacy and Maths are also biggies, especially if it is an area of focus on the SEF/SIP.

16. PE cos of all the clubs and after school stuff...

I was ICT Coord and loved it ...got TLR and just got paid more for doing what I liked best!!!

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't actually think either are particularly hard to coordinate and don't have the workload of some subjects, English Maths or Science for example but there are all the niggly little extra demands on your time.

18. I have science AND ICT - the joy of a small school. I love both subjects so not really a hardship in that respect. I would hate to coordinate a subject I didn't particularly enjoy in my case Art or MFL.
    As an aside how do people cope in small schools when they coordinate more than one subject? Perhaps that's a question for another thread though.

19. What? Like Literacy, ICT, MFL & Assessment (as well as teaching my own class & doing DH work...) [​IMG]
    I love it really!!!!
    C x

20. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

For all my subjects I get half a day out of class a week ( in theory) I'm Assistant Head and teach yrs5/6 the other 4 and a half days too. Life is rather busy!