1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Worst Sterling fall since Brexit referendum'

Discussion in 'Personal' started by burajda, Nov 8, 2018.

1. burajda

burajda Star commenter

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've seen the incident - how any ref could give a penalty for that is beyond me.

Almost as bad as the ref we had at Cambridge a few weeks ago.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

There was a similar situation in a Premiership Rugby Union game about 3 weeks ago. Billy Vunipola was at the bottom of a ruck by the try line and as he drove forward, he 'scored'. The ref awarded the try.

However, Billy knew he hadn't scored as he had knocked on (dropped the ball forward before he scored, deep inside the ruck).

Unlike Mr Sterling, Billy went to the ref and told him it was no-try as he had dropped the ball. The try was disallowed. He didn't get any grief or negative reaction from his team (although I imagine he got a ribbing in the bar afterwards!).

Make of it what you will....

Jesmond12 likes this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

A rare event judging by representative rugby.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

It's a rare event in any sport where a player (particularly a professional) will walk to a referee/umpire and admit something like this.

However, what do you men when you say 'A rare event judging by representative rugby' - are you talking about fair play?

racroesus likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I mean teams like Ulster and Ireland. Albert Foundry might have been a shade more honest back in the day.