1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worst film adaptations

Discussion in 'Personal' started by EmanuelShadrack, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

Not a film, I know, but I was really disappointed by the recent TV adaptation of Birdsong. In the book the scenes in the tunnels are so tense and claustrophobic, the TV adaptation somehow managed to miss out on that terrifying atmosphere

2. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Starship Troopers. Which had NOTHING to do with the original book except the name.

magic surf bus and nomad like this.
  3. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Another Steinbeck one - East of Eden. It's not that the film is bad as such but it starts half way through the book. I had already fallen in love with Adam when reading the book by the point at which the film starts and that of course influences the rest of it. I missed that when watching the film.

4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

There's rather a good TV adaptation of it with Jane Seymore, of all people. She's beautifully poisonous.

lunarita likes this.
  5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A film better than book one for me was The Dressmaker. The book was unremittingly depressing but the film had a touch of black humour. I also loved seeing the dresses.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Graphic novelist Alan Moore has disowned the screen versions of some of his greatest comic strip creations and refuses to be credited for them on screen. Most notably Watchmen and V for Vendetta.

I think the problem was not that they were adapted for screen, but they were only adapted for the large screen. If the original V for Vendetta story had been made into a TV series to make it more claustrophobic and to give it more time to develop it would have been superb. Likewise Watchmen - the movie wasn't too bad as movies go, but it was all too rushed for Moore's multi-layered writing style.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

On a contrary note, if I was going to nominate the most faithful screen adaption of a book I'd go for Band of Brothers - the two are virtually indistinguishable, but the series did have a huge production budget.

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Did you like the book?

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The Bonfire of Vanities was such a disappointment.

10. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

Agree

11. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

'Howards End'. How many times!

12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

It especially includes Blade Runner. Overrated pos.

13. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I started this thread either before you'd posted your earlier correction, or before I'd read it.

In any case, I'm terribly sorry.

I really shouldn't of done it :D:D:D

14. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm just being a pedant.

But there's a story behind this. When I'm editing the names of my collection of films I'm always getting rid of the file extensions and all the extra stuff not needed. I get to 'Howards End' and have to remind myself not to do as many do. I've read the book and seen the movie several times and still don't actually know why the house is called 'Howards End'.

15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Going slightly off-topic, when referring to this film with friends, we'd always call it "Howard's Big End", in which case there would be an apostrophe". The overall tragedy of the original is elegantly juxtaposed with the tale of by an adrift man, Howard, having problems with his car engine.