1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worst film adaptations

Discussion in 'Personal' started by EmanuelShadrack, Nov 13, 2017.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The new Murder on the Orient Express - it's awful

2. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I thought that was an alternative ending?

Penelope Cruz is a great favourite of mine so I really liked her as Pelagia and the scenery was breathtaking.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  3. zizzyballoon

I loved the screen adaptation of Nevil Shute's A Town Like Alice, with Peter Finch when he was young. I read the book again recently and had all the scenes from the film in my head.

nomad and bombaysapphire like this.
  4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@bombaysapphire - I was just about to post the same sort of thing about Stephen King novels and their film adaptations. I agree with everything you said.

I thought The Hobbit film was AWFUL. I didn't watch it to the end. The book is wonderful. I really enjoyed the Lord of the Ring films though!
    I remember as a ten year old being absolutely appalled by the BBC adaptation of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It was utter pish, with terrible casting. Lucy! Awful.
    The most recent adaptation of a much loved book (The Girl With all the Gifts) was wonderful and I was really happy that it was so faithful to the book (I later found out the author of the screen play was the author of the book, so of course it was going to be faithful) :)
    Bram Stoker's Dracula, the Francis Ford Coppola version was just terrible. Gorgeous costumes, sets and cinematography though! Thank goodness for visual artists.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The way I remember it, it was the whole point - their wasted youth being apart and all that.

zizzyballoon likes this.
  6. zizzyballoon

I remember it as an unhappy ending with them NOT getting back together. Then in some editions there was a happy ending tagged on after the finish as an alternative. But it was years ago that I read it and my memory is not brilliant these days.:(

7. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

The latest King Arthur film directed by Guy Ritchie. So disappointing. Cast wearing designer outfits. Hardly the dark ages....How much did it cost?!

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The 2005 film version of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." The TV version was so much better.

magic surf bus, InkyP and FrankWolley like this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Saw it yesterday with Mrs FW & a neighbour. We all loved it...o_O

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Robert Harris has been unlucky with a couple of film adaptations of his books (but no doubt well remunerated): 'Fatherland' and 'Enigma' are both excellent novels, but pretty poor films.

Dragonlady30 and nomad like this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Gene Wilder's ***** Wonka was good even if they did stray from the book a little. However the Johnny Depp version was dire.

lardylady and nomad like this.
  12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I like Johnny Depp as a rule but definitely prefer Wilder as WWonka. (stupid filter)

bombaysapphire likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

it was quite a while ago that I read it, I must have had the tagged on ending. Nothing like the film at all though.

14. letap

letap Occasional commenter

This includes Blade Runner..........

15. letap

letap Occasional commenter

The horribly disappointing sanitized version of The Golden Compass and The Bonfire of the Vanities - which even Tom Hanks couldn't save.

Good Books bad films or adaptations are easy.
    How about Bad books - fantastic movies:
    The Godfather for example.

16. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

TBH, I watch so few films that it's a bit difficult for me to comment. However, having taught English for 1000 years, films of the set books could be useful, particularly for some of he challenged students. Unfortunately, the second version of 'Lod of the Flies was a joke-not hat I was laughing. The film makers had missed the point big style! 'Of Mice and Men' again caused problems. My heat goes out to the exam markers when the read for the umpteent time about the guys on the train. :rolleyes:

'Animal Farm' was quite good except for the last scene. Yes, it made the film more positive, but it destroyed what Orwell was doing. I was the wicked witch of the west because I wouldn't show the films.

17. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

Oh, god yes - that was horrible. Only outranked by 'Simon Birch', the totally risible film version of John Irving's ' A Prayer for Owen Meany'. One of my favourite books of all time, and one of the worst films ever.

18. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Now there's one. Good book and good film, Fried Green Tomatoes....

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  19. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

David Lynch's adaptation of Dune.

The recent version of Ballard's High Rise.

Both movie versions of Shusaku Endo's excellent novel Silence.

20. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Strangely enough, it's an old film for me, "The Grapes of Wrath."

In the book, Steinbeck is busily ramping up the misery and the final scene is beyond appalling.

In the film, there's some increase of the misery but the film ending was nearly upbeat. I remember ranting at the telly, demanding my miserable ending.