1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worst (best?!) example of stinginess you've heard of?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Jul 19, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

An ex work colleague of my father's used to hide his children in the car boot, while passing the 'drive through' ticket booth at Blair Drummond Safari park [​IMG]
    Can anyone top that in tightfistedness?

2. bizent

bizent Star commenter

A girl I used to live with had the weirdest obsession with not spending money. Or was convinced she would always be "ripped off" is she wasn't ultra careful.
    She would go to the bank, for example, get a print out of her balance, then withdraw money and then get another statement straight away. "stops em robbin my money, see!"
    She was always saying about "them" and "they" - I really don't know who "them" and "they" are but whoever it was has made her some sort of paranoid loony tune!

3. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

Haha, these have amused me. As a lady, I have no objection to splitting the costs of dates, and always go assuming that I will be. Anyway, I went to this nice restaurant on a date with a guy once, and when the bill came, got out my purse to split the cost. Needless to say that I was very shocked, when he got out his phone, went to the calculator and starting adding up how much we had both 'spent'. This even included adding the £3-odd of my drink, from when he had purchased the drinks in the pub beforehand, being added to the bill and subtracted from his 'part' of the meal.

Date number 2 never happened.

4. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I think I'd prefer to send my kids to state schools and use the money I saved to have hot water. [​IMG]

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

No, really?? Can't think why!

6. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I remember moving into a house to find that every lightbulb had been taken, along with every door handle too!

7. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Baffled to find a reason!! He sounds like the perfect man....

8. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

yes, a total gent in fact [​IMG]

9. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Can you give me his number?

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I think the worse situation for stinginess coming out is going for meals with groups.
    The 2 main options are to remember who ate and drank what and then pay accordingly. In my experience this NEVER works. Everyone states they have calculated their amounts properly, yet there is still £10 - 15 outstanding (plus tip).
    On the other hand dividing the total between the amount of people there (eg £36 divided by 6 people) also causes problems when people will order the most expensive items including starters, puds and coffee plus drink themselves silly just to get their money's worth.
    On another note when we were kids and went to the pictures (movies) my Dad would take sardine sandwiches, a flask and club biscuits hidden in a shopping bag. This was to save paying for the extortionate prices of iced lollies and popcorn.
    We had to wait until the lights went down before scoffing the lot so we wouldn't be seen.
    My brother or I also had to carry the shopping bag as surreptitiously as possible.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

On the other hand, cinemas never stock anything I would conceivably want to eat, so I applaud anyone taking their own snacks.

12. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I usually take my own cinema snacks ... well, a drink at least! The food and drink there is extortionately priced. Besides, there is an M&S food shop beside our usual cinema [​IMG]

13. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I know an old biddy who sells her surplus greenhouse tomatoes to the neighbours. She weighs them on her kitchen scales, but if it is "over" she cuts a tomato in half and then re-weighs them. Tightness.

14. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

My mother in law's neighbours dug up the line of concrete slabs in the garden and took them with them when they moved house.

15. My grandfather use to have a small allotment and would grow his own veg and my gran had to buy them of him to cook them for his tea - she passed away some years ago bless her but died in 2008 aged 94 a miserable sad but a very wealthy man. (left it to my mum thankfully)

16. From a blokes perspective, first date stinginess is a poor character trait. I'd always offer(ney insist) on paying the bill, (i've asked you out, therefore it's my treat). However, if the lady in question was going to die in a ditch over it and really wanted to pay half then so be it - not many did and it was fine by me!!

Mrs ADUX certainly doesn't mind!!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

My great granny grudged the cost of toilet paper and used to collect the tissue squares that tangerines and oranges were wrapped in. I used to be sent to stay with her for long chunks of our holidays and hated the fact that, not only did she require me to use these, but that I had to ask her for them and she'd provide one or two depending on what I was planning to do! It wouldn't have been so bad if it were not for the fact that she was anything but short of a bob or two.

18. At university, flatmate and I would go grocery shopping together. One week I was a few pence short at the till and she made up the difference (it was only 12p). Next week she reminded me I still owed it to her and I had to pay up! She is obviously very careful with cash as she was the first of us to save enough to put a deposit on a house.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

A few years back Coventry Ice rink tried to establish a food and drink ban. Security searched and confiscated things found on entry! It became a game to smuggle the most amazing stuff into the rink. One guy would delay the queue for 20 minutes while he explained to the security that the sandwiches in his bag were gluten free as he had to eat at specific times and the rink did not sell the proper food for him (it was a lie). One guy set up a website where you could post photographs of you eating you contraband, if there was a security guy in the photo as well you got bonus ponts! One guy managed to smuggle a whole roast dinner with gravy, proper plate, knife, fork the lot and sat in one of the seats in full view eating it! They dropped the ban after a couple of months when food sales actually went down because people objected to the high handed treatment they were getting and boycotted the food outlets in the rink. Mrs blazer used to have all our food at the bottom of her bag with a layer of 'ladies things' on top. The security guy would not delve past that layer!

20. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

Up to age 23 I still occasionally went on holiday with my parents and sister- I used to have to pretend that I was under 18 so we didn't have to pay for a 2nd hotel room and I got stuck sharing a bed with my sister with all 4 adults in the one room.
    Also remember having to lie aged 7 or so to get a free tube ticket when going into town with my family, I think it used to be free for under 5s only and my dad used to practise with me saying what year I was born in case I was asked!
    My sister even now tried to get away with child prices. She is 25 but with no make up and her hair tied back can pass for a teenager, she is shameless!