1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worst/Best Board Games

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I love Balderdash. You win by being a convincing liar. For some reason luck is often with me when I play it.

kibosh and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Monopoly. Worst for sure.

How long would you have to play it to get anywhere? What's the point of it? I have never, never, never 'got' Monopoly.

Can some devotee explain the allure, please?

cissy3 likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

So bombay isn't really languishing on the sofa unable to move, huh?

bombaysapphire and kibosh like this.
  5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

There's a board game called Therapy . . it's an old one and I'm not sure if it's still being manufactured. Very good. Love Balderdash. But you can't beat a good game of Hunt the C***. I love playing cards.

6. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I'm another who loathes Monopoly.

I just don't CARE who wins or loses. I don't want to buy property. I don't care if I go to jail. The banker often cheats. It takes forever etc

Give me a game of scrabble anyday.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

Scrabble is good.

But does Monopoly ever finish? And how do you know?

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The scrabble apps on the phone have been keeping me sane while I am immobile (allegedly!) I have a couple of games going with friends and then play against the phone too.

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I've only ever heard of 3 of those - Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit and Risk. Give me Scrabble any day - or perhaps Skirrid. Or Backgammon - is Backgammon a board game?

solvacrime likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

After your admission re Balderdash I no longer know if you're immobile, sane or a devotee of Scrabble!!!

11. grumpydogwoman

Backgammon is OK. We play this. I'm not very good but I enjoy it and you can improve fairly quickly.

solvacrime likes this.
  12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I dislike all board games that I have encountered since I left the childhood snakes and ladders etc behind.
    My brother in law and his wife (from my first marriage) were fiercely competitive and great consumers of wine. In scrabble, I used to cheat unmercifully because I knew neither wanted to risk losing a turn by checking the dictionary. I was always very careful to create explanations which contained historical or literary references as he was a scientist and she was not the sharpest knife in the box. The more sloshed they became, the more outrageous my explanations for some random selection of letters. When sober, they never challenged me!! ;)

kibosh and bombaysapphire like this.
  13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Oh, I'd completely forgotten about Backgammon - great game. As is Yahtzee . . . but it's defo no a board game. The Scrabble app that you can access on FB is good.

solvacrime likes this.
  14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We used to play a game with the in laws called The Train Game, I think! Fairly straightforward, but quite entertaining. F-i-l was very competitive. There was also a haunted house one. They were good because we could play as a whole family.
    once the children were of an age.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I played my first game in many years a couple of weeks ago. The biting and nastiness was wonderful. An all-time great game.

kibosh likes this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I stopped playing in 1980 in Lydia when the relatively new Queen of that country started beating me regularly and badly.

kibosh likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Biggest waste of time ever in my opinion was Mouse Trap. I mean yes the full gadgetry was quite clever and amusing for about 10 seconds but who would want to spend an hour rolling dice to construct it?

One of the most chilling games I saw was Targette from the 1950s. A draughts-like game where each side had Vulcan nuclear bombers to fly to the opposing country's cites and obliterate them. Very much of its time.

Current favourite is a strategy game called Carcassonne, but generally speaking I dislike playing boardgames.

18. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Cluedo - nobody's mentioned Cluedo

Motherofchikkins likes this.
  19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Aye, aye . . .so someone told you it was called Monopoly and you believed them . . .;)

Motherofchikkins likes this.
  20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Oh, I liked Cluedo!

FolkFan likes this.