1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worst Agencies...and Worst Agency Experiences...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by les25paul, Nov 23, 2011.

1. I registered with Aspire after they pestered me to sign up a few years ago. I shelled out for a CRB and that was it. No contact or offers of work.

Last year I was chased by Aspire again. "It's different now," said the consultant, "the staff has changed." They kept at me and like a fool I signed up, paid for another CRB and never heard another word.

It may be that there are tax advantages from having large numbers of people on your books. HMRC are currently giving me grief because they have returns from agencies I never worked for and are talking about "assumed income."

2. Aspire are sh*te. I upset their consultant ( I refuse to call him my consultant) because I refused to work 26 miles away and pointed out that I did not have a car full of petrol anymore just waiting for his call. He got sulky (or mardy for us Northerners) and has not phoned me since, even for my availability.
    Another thing, I am working in a minimum wage job in what seems to be a small part of Derbyshire annexed by Poland. I recently had to turn down teaching work due to the fact there were three definite days which would mean that I would lose my job in Nova Polska. The sweetener was the fact that the agent said it could last to Easter. I rapidly realise that 'possible' from an supply agency is not worth giving up even a minimum wage job.

3. I was 'chased' by Aspire. I wrote tham a polite e-mail stating that I had signed on with so many agencies, with little result, that there seemed little to be gained, except the loss of £45, by joining yet another. Sometime later, I received back a snotty e-mail saying that they could not understand a science teacher not being found work by so many agencies, as all their science teachers were working fully, due to the 'demand' for them. Aspire asserted that I must have 'issues', if I was not being found work. Most menacingly, was there claim that could not accept references that were more than six months old, implying that once you were out of work for that long, you were permanently unemployable.

4. ...never heard of Aspire, but it seems there are so many about that its virtually impossible to judge who is good and who is average.
    ...lest I say, Monarch for me were appalling. Paid for a CRB, got hassled for updated CVs/refs etc and never got a days work from them.
    ...believe me, it wasnt for the want in trying...seems many agencies are living off scraps and are crapping on each other to earn a commission

5. I am now in the third of my teaching career and in the years i have registered with almost all agencies in England and can say that I've finally managed to secure a perm position :) (surely nothing to do with my teaching abilities) For me, the best so far have been Talent Engaged and the worst with regards to pay and a lack of work have been Hayes Education. iTN have been responsive but again they have been offering me CS work which they only pay just above a TA's wage

6. I don't think Hays like me. After joining them twice, and getting nothing but the runaround from them, they now keep sending me emails suggesting I work in Dubai or Qatar! It may be low tax but working for Hays would be like having scabies, a tapeworm or some other parasite. In fact, I would rather have a tapeworm.

7. If you're in Derbyshire I work for a fantastic, small supply agency. There is one guy running it and 2 admin staff (though you don't talk to them - they just process all the stuff) - he listens to what you can and can't do, tries his best to get you work at the same schools and doesn't make you feel bad. I could have been working full time practically this term if I had accepted everything. PM me wariric64 if you want to know details! After more than a term of trying to get work in Sheffield turning to Derbyshire was the best thing I did!

8. Hi Guiding_star,

I am looking for supply in Derbyshire now, would you be able to let me know the agency you work with please?

Thanks, John

9. Hi Guiding Star
    Would like to know the agency in Derbyshire you refer to in your post.Details appreciated.
    Many thanks.
    John B

10. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

Put a comment about the agency on ratemyagency.com its one of the ways supply can name & shame these agencies.Does anyone know of other review sites? If yes put it on here so supplies know the sort of agency they are working for or get offers from

11. Its a shame you've had a bad experience with Enlighten Supply Pool, I have found them to be extremely helpful. I joined them a couple of years ago as a newly qualified teacher, I wasn't very confident after being muck about by a few bigger agencies so thought I would try ESP which was recommended by a friend. My consultant really helped build my confidence sent me to a number of different schools to figure out which one would suit me. They got me a long term which after 6 months led to a permanent position which I love as I'm here 2 years on. I would recommend enlighten, I think there a small agency compare to some big names out there who treat you as another number rather than am actual person. In terms of my pay I used there umbrella company and didn't have any problems, I was always paid fairly.

12. It's a shame you had such a bad experience with them. I have found Enlighten Supply Pool to be very helpful. I was recommended to them by a friend after being mucked about by few agencies. This was a few years ago now, I was a newly qualified teacher lacking experience and confidence...I have always been weary of agencies but found them to be rather genuine. I had a great consultant...which makes all the difference...he sent me to a range of different school's to gain varied experience and for me to figure out what suited me best. It took a while to find a long term as I guess there's a lot of competition but i got a 6 month placement which turned in to a permanent placement I'm still here 2 years on. I would recommend ESP and in regards to pay never had any problems.

13. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

This is an example of why I don't think naming and shaming is a good idea. What works for one person, might not work for the other. I have seen people on here knocking the agency I am with yet I have NOTHING but praise for them and get work off them every day xx

14. I suppose it is not just the agency but also the branch and the 'consultant', you deal with.

15. I have just had an email from one agency that I had registered despite the fact that they had got me very little work and that I have been forced into involuntary retirement. This email was an invitation to some some of charity bash they are organising with tickets costing £65 per person

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Not sure If this is what I think it means but if so, it happened to me recently. I was told by an agency who's name is the same as what the world turns on, that my CRB/DBS had expired and that I needed to apply for a DBS through them ! I replied that it still had a year to go. They then replied that my portability with them had expired !! I replied that if they emailed me the authority letter I would sign it and scan it back to them. They replied the time for that had expired !!! I replied that according to DBS rules there was no expiry date on the holder's authority to give agencies permission to apply for portability. I never heard anything more from them !!!!

All these emails flew backwards and forwards in the space of about 10 minutes. And all for nothing.

Agencies I've found useless are

The one above where the world spins on its A....

Prosp... from a character in a Shakespeare play. I had a severe telling off and interrogation from that one for having the temerity to email them saying I had not heard from them for nearly a year. The manager called me angrily to complain I had no right to contact them pointing out the obvious and basically threatened me. I told him he sounded like a gangster. He said "if I was you would know about it". !!!

GS... Totally useless and got next to no work from them.

Boston R... never any work from them. I get the occasional call to go for an interview right now and they get quite ****y when I say I need a day's notice.

JJ F... they keep sending me reminders to get my timesheets in on time. Impossible when they haven't given me any work !

The latest one who's name I can't remember at the moment keep sending me emails asking me to call them urgently about a job "we think you will be perfect for". If it's so urgent why don't they call me?? A few other agencies do the same which just proves to me they are even too cheap to pay for the call themselves.

A few others also for various reasons, mostly time wasting ones. I am convinced most of the jobs offered are simply phantom ones and the main reason to contact people is to twist their arm into paying for a DBS.

17. I find your comment very hard to believe lilly86..I have also worked for and on behalf of ENLIGHTEN SUPPLY POOL as a teaching assistant and can totally agree with muvemaccso. Enlighten Supply are a knock off back street business that take advantage of their workers. They use and abuse workers who don't know their rights or the law. ENLIGHTEN SUPPLY POOL is basically run by their one man army manager and if it was up to him he would take everything you have, luckily he employed some decent staff at the time I was there however I found slowly but surely all employees had left the company - the manager would lie and make up stories such as they are on holiday or maternity leave - this is all lies - staff turnover is amazing!!! it shows no one can put up with his rubbish. Furthermore he makes his employees use fake identities with fake names so you dont actually really know who your talking too!!!! This gets worse...he puts on fake training courses and charges a stupid price of £100 for one- at the end of it you get a "certificate" this certificate does nothing and I frankly could have done a better job of making one in word doc myself!!! ENLIGHTEN SUPPLY POOL are not working under the laws they should be...They state on their website they are apart of the REC- the Recruitment and Employment Confederation - WELL SURPRISE SURPRISE THATS ANOTHER LIE!!!! They havent been registered with them since 2011! You can call the department of REC and anyone can enquire 020 7009 2100.So when you think your covered and working for an agency governed by the REC your actually not! All REC members must abide by Code of Professional Practice. Lets give one example of how they don't abide: In the General Principles - Principle 8.B it states: "Members should not penalise temporary/contract workers,for example for having been late or failed to attend part or all of an assignment or for poor performance, by making deductions from pay due for time that they have actually worked." Well well well... Enlighten Supply Pool definatly dont abide by that!!! If you turn up late the manager will have a good go at you and if lucky he will let you know he is under paying you or you may just find that out when you see your paycheck. I REPEAT NEVER WORK WITH ENLIGHTEN SUPPLY POOL - HE HAS MADE A SUCCESS OUT OF MANIPULATING PEOPLE AND CANT KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT!

18. I find your comment very hard to believe lilly86..I have also worked for and on behalf of ENLIGHTEN SUPPLY POOL as a teaching assistant and can totally agree with muvemaccso. Enlighten Supply are a knock off back street business that take advantage of their workers. They use and abuse workers who don't know their rights or the law. ENLIGHTEN SUPPLY POOL is basically run by their one man army manager and if it was up to him he would take everything you have, luckily he employed some decent staff at the time I was there however I found slowly but surely all employees had left the company - the manager would lie and make up stories such as they are on holiday or maternity leave - this is all lies - staff turnover is amazing!!! it shows no one can put up with his rubbish. Furthermore he makes his employees use fake identities with fake names so you dont actually really know who your talking too!!!! This gets worse...he puts on fake training courses and charges a stupid price of £100 for one- at the end of it you get a "certificate" this certificate does nothing and I frankly could have done a better job of making one in word doc myself!!! ENLIGHTEN SUPPLY POOL are not working under the laws they should be...They state on their website they are apart of the REC- the Recruitment and Employment Confederation - WELL SURPRISE SURPRISE THATS ANOTHER LIE!!!! They havent been registered with them since 2011! You can call the department of REC and anyone can enquire 020 7009 2100.So when you think your covered and working for an agency governed by the REC your actually not! All REC members must abide by Code of Professional Practice. Lets give one example of how they don't abide: In the General Principles - Principle 8.B it states: "Members should not penalise temporary/contract workers,for example for having been late or failed to attend part or all of an assignment or for poor performance, by making deductions from pay due for time that they have actually worked." Well well well... Enlighten Supply Pool definatly dont abide by that!!! If you turn up late the manager will have a good go at you and if lucky he will let you know he is under paying you or you may just find that out when you see your paycheck. I REPEAT NEVER WORK WITH ENLIGHTEN SUPPLY POOL - HE HAS MADE A SUCCESS OUT OF MANIPULATING PEOPLE AND CANT KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT! !!!

19. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

One agency I work for sends me texts to call them about work on such and such a date. Unfortunately, they send the same text to all their supply teachers, so the work goes to whomever gets through to them first. Having now got wise to that, I don't bother ringing them anymore.