1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

worse kids all under one roof

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by koonti, Aug 20, 2013.

1. hi there

i have just finished my NQT year at this academy i will not name. just before the summer holidays,i was told i will be getting all the year 10 noughties as a tutor group. this has been done based on their academic performance and overall behaviour over the years.Anyway i am not the only one in this situation.

i would appreciate any advice and comments regarding behaviour strategies thank you all

2. Whelanmk

Whelanmk New commenter

Firstly, how many are going to be in this tutor group? What was the reason that the school gave for putting all the naughties in one tutor group rather than spreading them around, like most schools do?

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Welcome to the jungle :( Unfortunately many schools do this to new teachers, in defiance of common sense and kindness. You must:

1. Do a seating plan

2. Plan lessons clearly- have lots of short, achievable tasks, and keep the pace fast.

3. Set out a behaviour rulebook with them from lesson one.

4. Set some sanctions on your first day

5. Phone home as soon as there are any problems.

6. Always follow up

7. Don't let them work time off

8. Praise frequently and sincerely

9. Don't give up.

Have a look at my behaviour page here on the TES website- there are lots of resources and tips to begin.

Good luck :)

Tom