1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worrying

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by eal2, Apr 20, 2011.

1. How do you stop yourself from worrying about things that are about to happen and might go well or really badly. I can't help but think of the worst case scenario and then my worrying gets worse as I think of everything and anything which might possibly go wrong until I have convinced myself that disaster is going to happen.

2. You are not alone! I am a terrible worrier and since having kids it is worse than ever. I sometimes have nightmares where both kids are in terrible danger but I can only save one of them- I wake up in a cold sweat with my heart pounding. I don't know if being a control freak exacerbates it or not but I do feel better if I write things down and there's always paper and pencil by my bed so if I'm worrying about forgeting something I can write a list!

3. anteater

anteater New commenter

<ol>[*]Bury your head in the sand[*]Alcohol, or other substances, not all of them legal[*]Exercise - esp going for a walk somewhere green[*]Yoga/meditation[*]Acupuncture[*]Absorb yourself in work or some other activity to such an extent that you don't have time to worry[*]Appeal to the deity of your choice for divine intervention[*]Carry on as you are - then you will be pleasantly surprised when the disaster usually doesn't happen[*]If you can reasonably do something to minimise the possibilty of the disaster happening, do it: if not, just accept that you've done your best, and be accepting of whatever happens[*]Sign up for some CBT</ol>Random ideas. Other folks can add others! There's no simple answer to your question - different things work for different people. I got something new to worry about yesterday and have tried no 5 above today. Feels good so far - but it is the wee small hours that are the real test,
    Good luck!

4. In the past I've written lists, but with the thing I am worrying about I daren't write down what might happen as It is all too scary. Almost as if i write it down the worst will happen. I haven't eaten properly for the last few days and I'm at the point of going to the doctor's for some medication as I don't think I can cope with work and this worry anxiety.

5. anteater

anteater New commenter

Sorry if my post came across as flippant, eal2 - it was not possible to tell from your OP that you felt as bad as that. Yes, definitely get yourself to the doc. CBT might be a good option if your worry has gone so far beyond what is reasonable?

6. Anteater

I didn't at all think your your reply was flippant and in to be honest in the past i would happily have resorted to the booze etc but I think this time I won't be able cope with work and this worry. It seems to ovewhelm me in waves. I was fine most of yesterday until the evening and I suppose being tired it just got to me. I've woken up not feeling great so I shall definitely get myself off to the doc.

7. "Catastrophising" is how it's referred to. Always assuming the absolute worse will happen. This can be dealt with and although CBT is one answer, bear in mind it's a sticking plaster, not a cure. The NHS will only probably only provide you with CBT unfortunately, sometimes other types of counselling may be more effective, but CBT is the approach of choice for a variety of reasons.
    Good luck, and don't be afraid to take some medication in the short-term, but be very afraid if your doctor sees it as the only way forward!

8. I went to the docs and got tranquilisers. they will help in the short term and get me through the next week at school. I know if I still feel as bad as this for any length of time I shall need to get more help. Hopefully things will be better than I am envisaging them.
    Thanks ClinicalGrant for replying.

9. Tranquilisers are rightly short-term but should keep the symptoms at bay. When the pressure's off in the summer, do ask your gp for some professional help in geting to the bottom of it.

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

My parents were worriers and I used to worry a lot, often about things that didn't matter at all or that worrying wouldn't help. My husband is the opposite. Over the years I've been married I've become much more relaxed. I still tend to fret about some things but I'm better at stopping when I can no longer help the matter, whatever it is, and I don't worry about stupid things like someone being home a bit late.
    If I'm worrying I try to do something physical or very absorbing. The worst time is the middle of the night. I do a puzzle to distract myself.

Surround yourself with laid back, none worriers and copy them for a bit.

11. Thanks for your replies.
    That is me. I used to say well If I can work out the worst case scenario than I won't be surprised by it and if it doesn't happen I shall be pleased. but I know it just stresses me.
    I felt quite happy last wednesday and felt worried that something bad would happen and hey presto it did a couple of days later and the worst case scenario fo this is really scary. Everyone said not to worry it will sort itself out but as of now it hasn't.
    the number of times in the last year I have thought - today is the day I lose my job - I haven't.
    Last time I felt like this ( this time last year when my hubby was ill) I kept going and it did have repercusions at work as I found it really hard to concentrate. This time I shall get help if I don't sstart feeling a bit more in control of my emotions.

12. I hope it all works out for you, whatever it is...xx