1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worrying request from a parent

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gertie Grumbles, Mar 17, 2011.

1. To add to that, my site has had almost 500 visit this month, so that suggests it is being too useful to colleagues for me to want to take it down .....
    But I have no idea how many parents might be using it, too ....

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

you only need to visit a few parent forums to see that some children are drilled at home in search of that level 5

3. Gertie your website has been invaluable to me in my prep for the last 2 years - - - THANKS

4. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

It's comical really that parents swallow the myth that young children do SATs when they do nothing of the kind and are led by the nose into thinking that the NCT results will have some bearing on their children's future educational or vocational career.
    If you ever saw a CV with "Y6 SATs" on it, you'd just laugh out loud, wouldn't you?
    ("Y12 SATs" would make some sense, of course.)

5. [​IMG] Oh you just can't resist can you.
    Do you ever talk or think about anything else Markuss?!
    I always thought that the papers weren't allowed out of schools and therefore not allowed to be reproduced online!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Hang on, pff, markuss is making a reasonable point here.

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

People use old GCSE questions for practice all the time. Do you think it matters at KS2?

8. I don't think it matters personally. I'm just sure that is what I had been told! Perhaps it is because at KS1 we don't have 'new' papers.
    We once had a teacher (from another school) who trained her daughter to pass the L3 KS1 paper by making her memorise the first 17 questions from the booklet she new we were doing [​IMG]

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Are the tests copyrighted material? If so, then there may be implications to publication on the web. (I'm no expert, but I would find out if I were you.)

10. mystery10

Tell me this, at KS1 why do teachers like to use old KS1 papers when they don't need to? I thought after years of campaigning to get rid of unpopular KS1 tests it was ironic that teachers now like to continue adminstering the old test papers. Why is that?
    How many years were there externally set test papers for, and when did it stop?

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errrr almost all past papers for all years are available on the web. Yes it make a slight mockery of the assessments we do, but hey ho...that is the technological age.

And the argument that we shouldn't put them up from someone who has a great many KS2 ones on her site is just daft. Schools use past KS2 papers as well!

12. Mystery....what do you mean by KS1 not needing to?
    We have to administer KS1 tests. Well, we at least have to in our LA and the previous one I worked in!

13. The KS1 Assessment procedures do still require schools to use the papers at the end of Year 2. They are just expected to use them as "part of" the assessment in addition to their ongoing teacher assessment.
    There haven't been new papers published since 2009 or so, but schools may choose between papers from 2 different years which are specified in the Assessment and Reporting Arrangements booklet (the purple book) published each year.
    C x

14. If you mean me and what I have said, that is an offensive thing to say!No way are me or my concerns 'daft'. Please re-read what my concerns are - and try to comprehend!
    And if you can't, I am asking, since many schools use these for serious assessment, should I make them available for teachers, when parents can then access them too?

15. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Tool.

Children do do Sats. Deal with it.

16. mystery10

Thank you for making the KS1 assessment arrangements clearer to me. I've read the ARA now and realised it is compulsory children to do one of the specified old SATs papers.
    Gertie, I'm still unsure why you are bothered about putting out KS2 papers on your website though - it's fresh unseen papers that kids get at KS2 isn't it, under proper exam conditions, that the teachers aren't allowed to read beforehand either?
    You're not putting the relevant KS1 papers on there too are you?
    Every child is different, but certainly at a young age i.e. KS1 I'm not sure it would make that much difference even if they had done the whole paper before - clearly this depends on the child, but mine would just take one look at it and think I've done this before , and not try very hard second time round as she'd be wondering what the point of doing it twice was.
    But clearly you don't have to take the results of the tests at KS1 that seriously do you? As no effort is being made to keep the papers secret and get everyone to sit the test on the same day, some teachers might be practising the questions with their children, so no comparison between classes, schools etc are possible anyway.
    Once that silly system has been sit up, I don't think Gertie should feel bad about it. You are just saving some people some time, and also possibly helping some children get a better education as their parents will start to understand what is required when they see the papers and do some relevant stuff. There are probably very few parents and children who will actually sit down and properly work through papers like that again and again; my children would rebel!!

17. eread1

eread1 New commenter

I'm guessing the concern centres around schools that use past papers as a way of both practising SATs and as a method of obtaining an assessment level.
    In our school, we use previous years QCA papers and SATs papers to support our levelling termly.
    If parents had access to papers and were using them as exercises with their children, a 'true' picture may not be gained by the school rendering it a futile exercise.

18. Yes, but the KS1 paper uses different characters and pictures. A child would remember a character and a picture!
    Well said seebee and curlygirl as well. We are under so so much pressure in year 2 with our KS1 assesssments. At the moment many of our children will not reach the same levels as last years cohort did but boy are we having a lot of aggro for it!

19. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I suggest you read a few of the posts on parents forums if you believe that.

20. kym131218

kym131218 New commenter

Have you considered setting uP a login process where teachers have to include what s school they work in. It would be up to you then wheTher you want to verify access???