1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worrying about OCR AS A2 results Thursday :/

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by joeybird, Mar 6, 2012.

1. I have 26 AS results, 7 A2 results - just ethics. All of the A2 students resat the AS Ethics too.
    Im petrified I didnt do enough - I cover everything on the spec in as much detail as I physically can in the time allowed. They have everything on powerpoint. They do essays every week (either in their on time or timed in class). They have a core text book. And still I worry that I havent done enough and that they wont get the results they deserve (that's partly directed at OCR rather than myself). I worry I could tell them how to write essays better. I don't know whether to trust my marking. I have been teaching for 10 years and worry more than ever now about exam results.
    Does anyone have any guidelines to writing essays that I can look at to make sure I'm doing it right? I have taught Philosophy for 3 years now, this is my first stab at Ethics and I am the only teacher (5 hours a week Sept Jan Ethics the Jan to May Philosophy).
    I'm just fretting. Can anyone help me or reassure me?

2. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

I'm afraid I can't reassure you joeybird because I'm in the same boat. I'd be interested to know why your A2 students are re-sitting the ethics paper, though.
    We had some very poor results last year on the ethics side at AS level and have suspicions about the marking. The previous year they were fine.
    An issue with the OCR recommended textbooks I have is the ponderous, opaque style in which many of them are written.
    Three books that I have found particularly useful to compensate for this are the following:
    The newest edition of Peter Singer's Practical Ethics - it's full of interesting case studies and memorable factual details when it comes to medical ethics and environmental ethics.
    Michael Sandel Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do?
    James Rachels The Elements of Moral Philosophy
    All are crisply written, lively and thought-provoking and what I have frequently found myself doing is creating a lot of my own material based on the content.
    Cardinal, Jones and Hayward's book on Moral Philosophy is also pretty good, as is Simon Blackburn's Very Short Introduction to Ethics.
    Let me know how your lot get on. To reiterate, I'm also feeling rather apprehensive and dispirited right now.

3. san38

san38 New commenter

Only just seen this post. See my post above. [​IMG]