1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worrying about finding my NQT post

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by loveheart21, Nov 27, 2018.

1. loveheart21

loveheart21 New commenter

Hello!
    I'm about 3 months into my training year and I love it (the actual teaching, the PGCE I hate, but that's more to do with me hating writing) but I'm so worried about finding my NQT post. I've been keeping an eye on the job situation in my area and there are no or very few jobs in my county for my subject (secondary Art). Anyone else have this worry or anyone have any reassuring words?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

There are very few jobs advertised at this time of year, so unless this was also the case last May, I wouldn't panic.

Most posts begin in September. The timetable is fixed for the year, so that's the only time new posts are created, and relatively few people move schools or leave for other reasons in the middle of the year. (Sometimes when they do, it won't be advertised, either - they might just use supply and advertise at a better time of year.)

Budgets are confirmed around April, and resignations to leave at the end of the year have to be in by the end of May, so most jobs will be advertised in April/May/first week in June. Some are advertised earlier, as people may resign further in advance if they're retiring, or those schools who have been using supply as a stopgap will try and get in first. Independent schools often require a term's notice, so they tend to advertise earlier.
    Once the end of May passes, teachers already in post are too late to resign, so the number of potential applicants drops.

Keep watching out for the adverts, but don't panic until June!

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you to the New Teacher forum there are threads about getting your first post. The job market is local and depends upon whether the schools in your area are expanding pupil numbers and if they maintain Art as a viable subject