1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Schoolsoutforme, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Schoolsoutforme

Schoolsoutforme New commenter

What options would a person have if they recieved a job offer at another school, accepted it and handed in their notice at their current school then the new school requested a reference and as a result withdrew their offer based on information included in the reference?

Is it standard practice to ask for references prior to interviews? Or afterwards?

I'm concerned, despite being a solidly good teacher, that my reference may not be glowing due to my head making it clear she does not want me to leave. I also had a few weeks absent from school last academic year due to my dad suddenly dying of cancer. I'm applying for another job (not even sure I have an interview yet!) so it is just an unlikely event scenario, but I really want the job so I'm worrying and it's causing me to loose sleep!

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

When I've been on interview they've always asked for reference before the interview.

As for your time off [and sorry for your loss]... that would seem to be for an understandable reason which any compassionate human being would accept [so SLT are out then... jokes].

As for your present Head not wanting to loose you, that shouldn't factor into it. That's their staffing issue. But I think you can ask to see your reference [I know I've asked to see mine on occasion].

Anyway, best of luck and don't let it get to you!

kimberleyanddarren likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What a distressing time for you! But let's see if we can answer your questions.

Yes, before interview. Sometimes even before shortlisting. And you must have your Head . . .

Who should be my referees?

Don't despair!

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written...

It would be helpful if you could nobble the second referee, be honest, and ask him/her to include a sentence saying something like Ms X is the sort of teacher that any Head would be delighted to appoint, and devastated to lose. Only if s/he believes it to be true, of course. But it would give the other school pause for thought...

You can ask, but they who ask do not always receive, I'm afraid!

Can I see my references?

Now there is very little time left before the resignation deadline, if the job is for January you will have to be interviewed this week. So start preparing now!

Warning!

I have created links to these articles, but have not yet been able to go into them all and check/change any internal links. So some internal links may no longer work on nu-TES.

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

Best wishes