1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by purple sparkle, Apr 18, 2012.

1. purple sparkle

purple sparkle New commenter

Hi just a question really. The head has arranged for all staff to be at a finance meeting tomorrow and a lot of teachers are panicing about it. This is because 2-3 years ago they had a similar meeting and 20 members of staff were made redundant. 16 of which left on their own accord. I am on a temporary contract that isn't going to be renewed in September and have been job hunting since finding out in February. So far had one interview. They aren't extending it due to budget problems. Just wondering, maybe I am worrying too much but can they lay me off early before August at all? If the head does mention redudancies tomorrow will that mean they will go in August? I am concerned as I live alone and have done for over a year since my long term partner left me and I wouldn't manage without a job. I am just 'hoping' I find work for September.
    Thanks

2. purple sparkle

Hi just a question really. The head has arranged for all staff to be at a finance meeting tomorrow and a lot of teachers are panicing about it. This is because 2-3 years ago they had a similar meeting and 20 members of staff were made redundant. 16 of which left on their own accord. I am on a temporary contract that isn't going to be renewed in September and have been job hunting since finding out in February. So far had one interview. They aren't extending it due to budget problems. Just wondering, maybe I am worrying too much but can they lay me off early before August at all? If the head does mention redudancies tomorrow will that mean they will go in August? I am concerned as I live alone and have done for over a year since my long term partner left me and I wouldn't manage without a job. I am just 'hoping' I find work for September.
    Thanks

3. When is the date on your contract? You should get paid until then. The head will be pleased you're on a fixed term contract so he/she doesn't have to pay you beyond it; but i'd doubt he/she would bother to stop paying you before the contract finishes. It's the staff with permanent contracts that should worry, but you're off anyway so you can't really lose.

4. purple sparkle

My contract is until 31st August 2012. I hope that is the case, I hope they don't get rid of me as soon as year 11 leave. If you think about it all they need to do is change the timetables so staff who were teaching year 11 will teach other year groups. Saying that they would need to change every students timetable to make up for that. Which would be a lot of hassle in the last term when they change in September anyway.

5. purple sparkle

If I don't have a job sorted by May half term I will be phoning the supply agencies up again and preparing for supply again....which is not ideal.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Hi Purple - Firstly, I hope you find something suitable for September :) If the worst scenario arises tomorrow and the meeting does declare intent of redundancy, I would doubt that any motion towards actioning this would come to fruition before the summer months. The process takes a while so I would say you are secure until the end of your contract.

7. Does your contract have a clause in it about notice either party has to give to end the contract?
    Are you a private or state school?
    Good luck.