1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

worried

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by kanddd, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Got called into heads office this afternoon. He said there had been a complaint about me. A mother said that I had pulled her daughter by the arm up to the office to wait for her. I know it to be untrue, another TA who was with me when it was supposed to have happened has told the head its untrue. Head to speak to parent. What happens next? Am I worrying needlessly?

2. Got called into heads office this afternoon. He said there had been a complaint about me. A mother said that I had pulled her daughter by the arm up to the office to wait for her. I know it to be untrue, another TA who was with me when it was supposed to have happened has told the head its untrue. Head to speak to parent. What happens next? Am I worrying needlessly?

3. R13

R13 New commenter

If you are innocent and have a witness to prove it then you have nothing to worry about - but that doesn't mean it's not horrible to be accused - goo luck

4. Hi Not much help but you could seek a unions advice. Many give advice to non members free of chrge anyway. You should be ok if the head was that concerned you would have been suspended not much reassurance sorry.

5. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Try not to worry - it didn't happen and you have a witness to support you. Head obviously has to speak to parent but that doesn't mean he/she suspects you of doing anything wrong. It's horrible to be accused like this but it does happen, unfortunately.
    Do speak to union rep for reassurance if you are really worried. I'm sure it will be fine but I know from experience that this kind of incident leaves you very shaken for quite a long time.

6. R13

R13 New commenter

Good advice re Union if anything comes of this . . . . if not in the union they shouldn't be helping you - but you should be joining one anyway

7. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Totally agree with this - have seen several remarks in this forum over recent months which suggest that a union rep will help someone who is not a member of their union and this is simply not the case. The very real risk of being the subject of a false accusation in school is one of the obvious reasons why all school staff should be union members.
    I have worked with a teacher who had to attend a formal police interview as a result of such an accusation being reported directly to the police. In this situation the value of having immediate legal representation through your union from a solicitor who actually understands the law pertaining to school staff and pupils can make the difference between the police deciding to take matters further or recognising that there is no case to be answered.
    Over the years I have worked in schools I have known of several situations like this - some so far-fetched as to be laughable if it weren't so serious - and I don't believe I have worked in schools which would be more likely to experience this than most.
    I'm sure everything will be fine for kandd, but anyone who is not in a union please don't be under the illusion that you will get support from them when a problem arises - why would the rest of us pay subscriptions if that were so?

8. Thank you to everyone for your support. I am a member of the union and would have contacted them if it were necessary.
    Luckily, because I had a witness, the mother questioned the child further and the child admitted to lying. Not too sure of the reason why, something to do with the fact I told her to hurry when she went to the loo, and she had a row with her best friend, so she had a thoroughly bad afternoon.
    The mother came in with the child, and sat with her while she (the child) apologised to me. The child was told how her actions had upset me.
    I am so thankful I had a witness, I hate to think what would have happened if I was totally by myself.

9. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I'm glad to hear it's all sorted out and that mother was supportive - even with witnesses this is not always the case.
    it seems likely that your head managed this situation well - interestingly, thinking about these issues because of this thread, I have realised that all the incidents I have been thinking of occurred when I was working with one head - not a very good one!