1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

worried

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by slippeddisc, Jan 4, 2012.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I finished my full time job at Christmas and am registered with 2 agencies. Is it normal to feel worried about standing up in front of a whole new lot of children again? I am an experienced teacher but feel like an NQT again! What if I don't understand the teachers planning? What if I don't know anything about their topics or can't teach top set year 6 maths! What if they behave like zoo animals?
    Haven't had any work yet and feel sick at the thought. Sure it'll ease once I've done a few days. Please tell me it gets easier.

2. slippeddisc

I finished my full time job at Christmas and am registered with 2 agencies. Is it normal to feel worried about standing up in front of a whole new lot of children again? I am an experienced teacher but feel like an NQT again! What if I don't understand the teachers planning? What if I don't know anything about their topics or can't teach top set year 6 maths! What if they behave like zoo animals?
    Haven't had any work yet and feel sick at the thought. Sure it'll ease once I've done a few days. Please tell me it gets easier.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I always feel that way when I've been out of the classroom for a while, but once you're actually back in the classroom there isn't a moment to get anxious.

4. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Start off with age groups that you are most confident with. You will be fine, you will soon get used to teaching on supply. Every day is different if you are on day to day plus just think of being able to leave early, getting home and forgetting all about it!

5. slippeddisc

Thanks. Still no work!
    Supply agencies seem to lack any ability to communicate!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes, generally there is very little work about.

7. slippeddisc

How do people keep their spirits up when waiting around for supply work that does not materialise?

8. Hi no advice I'm afraid but just wanted u to know I feel exactly the same as you - have just signed up with a supply agency after nearly 5 years away from teaching to have a family, and I have exactly the same worries as you! Hope you get some work soon and it goes well, let us know how it goes and i'll do the same (if I ever get called!)

9. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

It will!!! It really depends on your subject, where you live and how far you are willing to travel. From reading the posts there seems to be more primary work than secondary out there at the moment with the CS thing going on.
    Keep your spirits up ... watch Jezza ... and be glad you're not sat on the stage (JOKE).[​IMG]

10. The feeling never goes away, I always feel nervous after a gap, however once in the classroom there isn't time to worry!

11. slippeddisc

Thanks everyone. Still no work!
    Sounds good. Did you get any work yet?

12. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I wouldn't hold your breath, if you are an experienced (= more expensive) teacher. Although it does depend where you are and which stage you teach.
    I had a half-day on Wednesday, with the potential to lead to a long-term placement. They were seeing three people, two on Weds and one on Thurs. Think I should have heard something by now but heard nothing, so probably not got it again.
    But I did hear some interesting chit chat in the staffroom ...

13. slippeddisc

Had my first day today and found out part way through the day I was on cover supervisor rate which the agency didn't tell me. Not best pleased but I guess it's a day work. I rang them to discuss it but their office was shut.

A nice day overall. Some fussy children but not too bad. Made me realise I can do it but also made me realise I don't want to! Oh well not much choice till I get another full time post.