1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried...too many days off sick?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by RiecesPieces, Dec 16, 2015.

1. RiecesPieces

RiecesPieces New commenter

Hello,
    I'm currently in bed with a stomach bug while writing this. I was vomitting several times last night and feel absolutely aweful. Thing is, this is not my first time off sick this term - since I started my new job in September I've had 5 in total (counting today).
    The first 3 were in the first two weeks back and it was due to my mum having a bad car accident and I had to go home for a few days (she was in intensive care and in a really bad state). During half term, I went to Africa and came back with bad stomach flu. I took one day off and returned to work not even fully recovered. Maybe that's also why my stomach is still sensitive and now I'm here sick again.

The headteacher recently sent and email to all staff mentioning the high number of absences this term and saying he'll start doing return to work interviews...I was scared to death to call him this morning, even tried to get ready first but no way, I fell back into bed. He didn't sound excited (obviously), he even pulled a face when I asked for an hour off for a root canal treatment last week (I returned to school half an hour after, still numb and barely able to speak).
    I'm aware that it's not great to take as many days off, but this term hasn't been fantastic for me health wise. It's not that I choose it after all...There are several teachers pregnant and missing a lot of days, plus there have been 2 members of staff absent for operations for 4-5 WEEKS recently.

My question, should I really feel this guilty and can the school screw me for having 5 days off in one term? I'll obviously try not to have any in the next terms, but if it happens what can I do really?!

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I think you will have to be very careful in future. A pattern of random days off is more significant than several weeks for a major op. Many teachers struggle in, not saying that is good or bad, but it is true.

3. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

How may days off trigger OH? That should be in a staff absence policy somewhere I would have thought. I think (just started in a new school so not sure) that 5 in a term would have triggered a referral by now in our school.

operations are different - you are expected to be off for these. An odd day sounds (not always rightly so) as though you are just taking 'duvet days' when you could have come in and just gave in too easily sort of thing.

It's the number of absences that trigger not the length I think.