1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried that I won't cope this year.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by bigwig2404, Aug 29, 2012.

1. bigwig2404

bigwig2404 New commenter

I retrained as a teacher 3 years ago and am in my late 30s. I found it hard when I first started and nearly gave up but now love it and can't imagine any other job I would like to do. Just before the summer I thought how lucky I was; I have 3 young children, a great husband and a job I love.
    The second to last day of term I found out my husband had leukaemia. We are struggling to come to terms with this diagnosis and are very up and down at present.
    Work now seems very unimportant. I am sitting here trying to plan and instead doing everything but. I want to teach well and continue my career but at the same time I just think 'so what'.
    I don't even know why I'm posting - I'm so confused. Any words of advice?

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Bigwig, I'm so sorry to hear this. You, your husband and your children are in my thoughts and prayers.
    I can't offer any practical advice as far as the teaching is concerned but do try to take care of yourself.

3. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Teaching is one of those jobs that is great when everything else is ok, but demands so much time and brainpower that the minute something goes wrong, it becomes very difficult to clear your mind enough to do it. I remember this when my father was dying, that everything else seemed so unimportant it was difficult to get anything else done.
    Some people like having something to keep them going, the routine and the challenge of the classroom. Some people don't. I have no great words of wisdom, other than if it gets too much, get yourself to the doctors and give yourself some breathing space. I am so sorry to hear about your husband. Tell the personnel person at school and hopefully they will be able to help. My school is one of those where they really are understanding and kind when things like this happen. I really hope yours is too.
    Good luck x

4. bigwig2404

bigwig2404 New commenter

Thank you both.

5. Communicate with head of dept or your line manager, see what support they can offer.
    One thing i have learnt is that kids at school help keep your mind busy.

It has helped me through some difficult times.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

So sorry to hear this bigwig. Make sure that your line manager, HoD and Head all know the situation. I echo the comment about taking a break if you need it.

7. Very sorry to hear your news.
    I remember you had a tough NQT year but you were beginning to be relaxed and enjoying teaching.
    Now this has happened, life is so cruel at times.
    As advised by others take a break if you need it and make sure managers know at school.
    Thoughts and prayers are with you.

8. bigwig2404

bigwig2404 New commenter

Thank you all for your support. My head does know and has been fabulous.
    She sadly lost her husband a few years ago and recognises the importance of being there for your family.
    I think work will perhaps keep my mind off stuff.
    We have had a rough few years with one things and another so I am sure things can only improve.

9. I can't offer any practical advice but I just wanted to say that my thoughts are with you and your family.