1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

worried sick

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by chemistry2111, Jan 1, 2008.

1. salsera

salsera New commenter

I also decided to pop in today and the thread was there.
    Just saying hello to you all xx

2. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

Just thought I'd check if you'd been on, Lalad.
    Hi Salsera. I read your other thread and was so pleased to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel for you. lol x

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Hello Acky and salsera xx
    He can't use public transport because he isn't very steady on his feet and can't walk that far without support, but your suggestion about the local cancer support centre is a good one - I will ask the GP. My sister now thinks she might be able to come down from London for the first appointment, which is Monday week.
    Social services are already involved with my parents; they had to have care after the first operation, but they are fiercely independent and kept cancelling it, saying they don't need it, even though it is obvious to everyone else that they do! I think my mum would really kick up at the thought of a respite home, although she might accept increased care if it meant she could stay put.
    I suppose it is more the treatment itself I am worrying about, because it is on his face, very close to his eye and I also cant help thinking back to my brother and how weak and ill he was - and now here we are again, but my dad is so much older and more frail. They have said one of the lymph nodes in his neck is enlarged and they are keeping an eye on that too.
    Thanks for posting - it helps to know people are around.
    Lal x

4. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

Hey Lalad
    My GP did not even know that there was a cancer support centre in our area. It was a friend who told me about it, she'd used the councelling service after having chemo for breast cancer. Maybe your oncology ward at the hospital where dad is having treatment is a better place to ask for info. I'll pop in more often if you want to blether although I'm not sure I'm the most upbeat person to speak to! Always a realist though. Love to you and your family x

5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Oh my word! I am so freaked out by this. I called in to see my parents tonight and had to spend ages trying to convince my mother that my dad was her husband. She sat there in the chair next to him and looked towards the kitchen door calling him. When I asked her what she was doing she said the person sitting next to her was not her husband - it was her father. She insisted that my dad was her father and kept asking where my dad was. She also said that she was fed up it was Wednesday tomorrow because it's always Wednesday - apparently last week it was Wednesday every day.Eventually I got her to agree that my dad was her husband - but I think she might have been just saying it because she knew I wanted her to. I'm not sure she believed it.
    I will ring the GP in the morning but it was so surreal - I asked her if she knew who I was and she gave me a "look" and said "Of course I do - you're my daughter. I'm not batty you know!"
    This is so sudden and has never happened before - it really has me baffled.
    Lalad x

6. Hi Lalad, just popped in and found you posting, hope you are doing Ok yourself but how difficult is that with your mum -I hope your GP can give you some help tomorrow! Perhaps altering whatever medication she's on might help.
    Your dad's biggest visit will probably be the first where they 'calibrate' him for perfect positioning.(I still have the tiny little tatoo dots!) Good to have someone with you for that one -there's big machines and flashing lights, bit offputting but they aren't actually zapping you that day, just measuring and marking. After that the other equipment they use isn't nearly as daunting -and takes literally seconds. I bet the radiographers can guarantee that everyone says "Is that IT?"
    My bookings usually coincided with an old chap having something on his scalp done -he was nearly 90 and pretty frail but seemed perfectly at ease with it. An ambulance came and got him each day, it was a bit of a 'scenic route' collecting other passengers but I think he quite enjoyed it. Come to think of it, even I was offered daily transport but O/H took me or I drove myself. In fact the most stressful part was getting parking although it was free in the hospital carpark if I showed my daily appointments letter -worth checking that out.
    I wouldn't thnk it likely they'd keep him in -I don't think it ever has a instant effect, just possibly a sore sunburn reaction after a week or two.
    Hello to everyone! Hoping you are all keeping well and managing OK in all your various complicated situations. Time for bed now, brain totally addled but promise I'll be back soon
    once again fingers crossed for Lalad's mum and dad getting sorted out soon
    bye all xxx

Hello to all, hope you are doing alright!

7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Meant to say yesterday Acky - it's lovely to hear from you and I hope you and your family are ok[​IMG].
    Thank you both for all your suggestions, which are very helpful. I rang the Oncology department today to find out a bit more and one of my brothers might be able to help out too now.
    With my mother it is more complicated - they think she might have a urine infection as that can trigger sudden confusion, so now I have to get a urine sample from her tomorrow morning but if it's not that they may have to admit her to hospital to try and find out what the problem is. She was still not right when I saw her today, although not as bad as last night.
    Apart from that, things are not too bad but I am slipping into bad habits again, staying up too late and then getting overtired[​IMG]
    On the positive side...the first of my tomatoes is just turning orange - hooray!
    Love to you all
    Lalad x

8. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

It might be a good thing if your mum is taken in. At least she will be looked after for a wee while. Have they started the antibiotics yet?
    I gave up on my tomatoes... they blew away the other night and my cloche was two doors away [​IMG] Nothing like veges straight from the garden.Love, Acky x
    Hi, non. xxx

9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Hi Acky - I've never grown tomatoes before so am far too excited to give up on them! Fortunately I realised the wind was getting strong so tied them up, otherwise they would have gone the same way as your cloche!
    My mum couldn't produce a sample this morning and the surgery said it will have to wait until tomorrow now - they wont start antibiotics until they are sure, but in the meantime her legs are very swollen. I'll try to get one tomorrow morning; I'm taking my dad to the hospital here for a minor op tomorrow anyway, so might be able to take it straight there. GP is dragging his feet a bit but she has a previously arranged appointment with the hospital 's geriatric consultant on Monday so maybe they will try and sort things out then, if not before. Hopefully they will keep her in for a few days.
    Lalad x

10. impis

impis New commenter

My mom [82] went batty when she had a urine infection a year ago. Apparently its very common in the elderly.
    She's fine now, by the way. Well, mostly, anyways. LOL!

11. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

Be thinking about you tomorrow, Lalad. Fingers crossed for some solutions. x

12. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

LOL indeed impis - she sounds very much like my mum!
    Thanks Acky. When my dad had his op on Friday they said the cancer has already grown back since the operation to remove the growth at the end of July, so that is only 6 weeks. They are hoping that the radiotherapy next Monday will put a stop to it but my brother is hoping to find out more on Monday - at the moment it is difficult to know what it all means. In the meantime I am hoping for some answers regarding my mum tomorrow but not very optimistic.

13. Think I must have missed a lot but I'm sorry to hear that, Lalad. I do hope they get something that works. big hugs, thinking of you
    nonxxxxxxxxxxxxx

14. margey

margey New commenter

This post is long overdue!!
    Just wanted to say a big thankyou to all my friends here who helped me get through some dark days in the past. The good news is that I was at the hospital a few weeks ago and I have been discharged. 3% of people with pancreatic cancer make it to five years so I am one of the very lucky ones. I am so much better but I still do get weary and have those pj days. I am loving my little grandson whose mum is now expecting twins. I think it will be a busy new year!!!
    special wishes to GTA, Non, Lonney and as always Acky

love to you all
    Margeyxxx

15. Margey I've missed you! So pleased to hear you are healthy. Xxxxx

16. impis

impis New commenter

So glad to hear you're well, Margey!! Well done.
    Sad about Lalad's dad though. What a shame . Your family must be worried sick. If further treatment is unlikely to be of much help, wouldn't it be better, instead, to treat the symptoms so that he can feel the best he can feel - so that he can 'enjoy' the best he can, whatever time he has left to him?
    You need to create some new happy memories to help you through the inevitable. Help him to forget his illness for a short while - take him out for treats, laugh together. Reminiss - chat about fond shared memories. Stock up on the lovely memories for when you will need them.

17. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

It's lovely to hear from you all, and Margey, it's great that things are going so well for you.
    Time is a bit of a blur at the moment as the past couple of weeks have been very difficult and I have had to arrange for my parents to move into a residential home for a while BUT the good thing is that it's a lovely home and I think they will be very well cared for there, which means that I can spend quality time with them instead of having to worry over whether they are eating, drinking, taking tablets, falling over etc.
    My dad is having another MRI scan on Thursday but the oncologist has now said he wants to operate anyway because of the risks of leaving things be - we should know more by the end of the week.
    Love to all
    Lal x

18. Hmm. Thinking again about that last bit, if 'x' means a pair of fingers(or toes) crossed, I seem to have acquired double the normal number of digits. Told you my brain had gone addled....

19. Lovely to hear from everyone and fab news Margey. Unfortunately I don't have good news, dad passed away suddenly a couple of days ago. He hadn't been well but it wasn't serious. He suffered a pulmonary embullism and couldn't be resuscitated.

20. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Sorry to hear your sad news, we're approaching the 1st anniversary of my Dad's death and it's still hard. You need to take care of yourself at the moment and take the time you need to grieve - when you're rushing around for Christmas that can be doubly hard.
    Best wishes
    Ruth